* [9fans] really basic (stupid) questions, re: beginning sys admin.
@ 2006-10-21 18:08 Lloyd M Caldwell
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Lloyd M Caldwell @ 2006-10-21 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans, lmc

Hello,

This is fairly long so tia if you choose to continue reading.

I have used, administered and programmed Un*x's for many years, this
seems to be more of a hinderance then help.

To prove how stupid I am, it took me 3 weeks to figure out how to enter
text into sam. If you invoke 'sam file.txt' you see nothing of the file
and all the typing in sam's control window results in nothing. Maybe if
sam had used the same "new window" icon as rio, I might have figured out
more quickly that you must make a new window inside an existing window
to actually see the text file contents.  This, despite having read of
the recursive rio capability and seeing the figures in Rob Pike's paper
on sam. Acme is too much of a commitment, besides the initial glenda
login acme window message says there are two columns and my systems
glenda,acme window has three columns.

My system is installed from cdrom, release 4, march 23rd, fossil+venti.

Q1) how to "logout" of the fossil+venti console? In my experience, open
console access to servers is bad (insecure).  Even though it is stated
numerous places that there is no "root" account.  Apparently physical
access to the console IS "root"?

Q2) It is stated that you can't run both an authentication server and a
file server on the same node so how do I get the 'factotum' stuff going
on a standalone file-server/terminal/cpu-server (the cdrom installed
system)?

Q3) I have made a new user, how would I set this new user's (and
glenda's) password?  Again on the standalone cdrom installed system.

Q4) on Un*x, after entering a man page command I can search for a
specific word with /word in a terminal emulator window. How do I perform
the same thing in a rio/rc window (please don't answer "use acme")?

Q5) rebooting seems to be the main method to re-configure the system or
ones access rights.  In Un*x logging in/out and using su and
kill/restart allowed one to choose the role and modify the system
configuration without rebooting (I have a system running with uptime
over 3 years). Is rebooting the method for performing these tasks?  This
seems rather draconian (imo).

Any help is greatly appreciated.

tia
regards
Lloyd M Caldwell
lmc@xmission.com

ps: i have an ac97 audio driver written and working on a via-epia
motherboard? anyone interested in trying this?