* [9fans] slightly ot: how can I get vmware 4.5?
@ 2005-04-20 22:01 Jack Johnson
From: Jack Johnson @ 2005-04-20 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue, Apr 19, 2005 at 09:00:56AM -0600, Ronald G. Minnich wrote:

> does qemu run on windows at this point?

Aw, heck.

At the expense of being redundant, yes, QEMU does run on Windows.  I
haven't built the binary, but there are a lot of projects floating
various versions around.

I grabbed the one from the latest ReactOS release, which is version
0.6.2 but I'm not sure if all the earlier patches posted here were
applied to it.  I had success:

http://www.nas.com/~fragment/qemu.jpg

The odd black box in the upper left-hand corner disappears as soon as
the cursor is active.  Networking looks like it's going to work fine,
but I think the Windows version of QEMU only supports their user-mode
networking, so no virtual auth or CPU servers out there.

It might be interesting to get QEMU to boot a Plan 9 floppy and pull
the filesystem off a fileserver.  I don't know if this would have any
advantage over drawterm, other than testing.

Definitely not a chick magnet kind of thing.

-Jack

* Re: [9fans] slightly ot: how can I get vmware 4.5?
@ 2005-04-21  0:58 ` Kenji Okamoto
From: Kenji Okamoto @ 2005-04-21  0:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> It might be interesting to get QEMU to boot a Plan 9 floppy and pull
> the filesystem off a fileserver.  I don't know if this would have any
> advantage over drawterm, other than testing.

I'm not a qemu user yet.
The drawterm uses devices of CPU server, and qemu uses local devices
(if it can use them☺), so it may be good for someone wants to use one,
such as audio device if possible.

Would you please give us your more detailed experience with Windows
version qemu?   Is it easy to install them, how much of diskspace is
neccessary etc.

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] slightly ot: how can I get vmware 4.5?
@ 2005-04-21  4:11   ` Jack Johnson
From: Jack Johnson @ 2005-04-21  4:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 4/20/05, Kenji Okamoto <okamoto@granite.cias.osakafu-u.ac.jp> wrote:
> Would you please give us your more detailed experience with Windows
> version qemu?   Is it easy to install them, how much of diskspace is
> neccessary etc.

QEMU has only a handful of necessary files, and they're all relatively small:

-rw-r-----    1 jack     jack       305152 Feb 23 14:58 SDL.dll
-rw-r-----    1 jack     jack        65536 Feb 23 14:58 bios.bin
-rw-r-----    1 jack     jack       781824 Feb 23 14:58 qemu.exe
-rw-r-----    1 jack     jack        32768 Feb 23 14:58 vgabios-cirrus.bin
-rw-r-----    1 jack     jack        32768 Feb 23 14:58 vgabios.bin

These are all from the latest ReactOS version, which (zipped) weighs
in at around 10MB, because it includes a batch file and a
pre-configured disk image.

For my brief test, I just downloaded the latest Plan 9 ISO,
uncompressed it in the QEMU folder and changed the batch file to:

qemu -cdrom plan9.iso -boot d -m 54 -enable-audio -L . c.img

To be honest, I can't recall what the -L option does and I didn't test
the audio, and 54 MB of RAM is a little lean, but it was easily enough
to boot.  I've found that QEMU often errors out if the guest OS isn't
given a hard drive image, possibly from drive probe failure, but the
drive size does not need to be large if you'll be running live from CD
or floppy.

I have found that what should be the easiest part -- creating a file
for the drive -- is not always easy under Windows, and often find
myself resorting to the Cygwin tools to accomplish this.  I should
probably try 9pm.

I prefer using QEMU under Linux, if only to get direct access to an
entire drive (by using /dev/hdx as the C drive target) and because you
can configure a virtual network adapter to have a server running in
the virtual machine.  I have found some guest OSes have trouble
determining the drive geometry under QEMU and you end up having to do
something like 'qemu -hdachs 8367,16,63 c.img' to get everything
working.  They also seem to tweak the command line options from
version to version, so you may find other options that either change
or improve behavior under Windows.

On my machine at work Plan 9 booted surprisingly fast.  If you know of
a handy benchmark, I'd be happy to try it out and post the results.

On the flip side, I know we often talk/joke about porting Web
browsers, etc. to Plan 9 and I wonder if it wouldn't be easier to port
QEMU and then run something like Windows XP Embedded (if it's
supported) or Linux in a VM for those few apps you can't live without
(or port).  For me, that app is currently the Citrix client, so I'm
stuck with some officially supported OS for a while (or do the VNC hop
like everyone else does).

Charon supports Gmail now, so I'm getting closer....

-Jack

* [9fans] using qemu
@ 2005-04-21 12:43     ` Robert Raschke
From: Robert Raschke @ 2005-04-21 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

I am trying out Qemu and can't figure out how to get Plan 9 to find
the CD or HD:

qemu.exe -L . -m 128 -hda p9.img -cdrom plan9.iso -boot d

where p9.img is a 1GB HD image I created, and plan9.iso is the CD
image I just downloaded from the Labs.

I now just get:

Bochs BIOS, 1 cpu, $Revision: 1.110 $ $Date: 2004/05/31 13:11:27 $

ata0 master: QEMU HARDDISK ATA-2 Hard-Disk (1024 MBytes)
ata0  slave: Unknown Device
ata1 master: QEMU CD-ROM ATAPI-4 CD_Rom/DVD-Rom
ata0  slave: Unknown Device

Booting from CD-Rom...
PBS...Plan 9 from Bell Labs
ELCR: 0000
apm ax=f000 cx=f000 dx=f000 di=fff0 ebx=95e3 esi=-f0010
Boot devices: fd0
boot from:

I'm assuming that 9load didn't manage to come to grips with the HD and
CD somehow.  But how can I sort that out?  Is there a way I can mount
the iso image in some kind of visible form under WinXP?

Thanks for any pointers,
Robby

* Re: [9fans] using qemu
@ 2005-04-21 12:47       ` Devon H. O'Dell
From: Devon H. O'Dell  @ 2005-04-21 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu, Apr 21, 2005 at 01:43:21PM +0100, Robert Raschke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm assuming that 9load didn't manage to come to grips with the HD and
> CD somehow.  But how can I sort that out?  Is there a way I can mount
> the iso image in some kind of visible form under WinXP?

`Daemon Tools' is a software package that allows you to mount CD
and DVD images in both iso, bin/cue and whatever other popular
formats exist as virtual drives in Windows. It's the first hit
for the google search of the software title :)

> Thanks for any pointers,
> Robby

--Devon

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 194 bytes --]

* Re: [9fans] slightly ot: how can I get vmware 4.5?
@ 2005-04-21 13:04     ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2005-04-21 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jack Johnson, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> To be honest, I can't recall what the -L option does and I didn't test
> the audio, and 54 MB of RAM is a little lean, but it was easily enough
> to boot.  I've found that QEMU often errors out if the guest OS isn't
> given a hard drive image, possibly from drive probe failure, but the
> drive size does not need to be large if you'll be running live from CD
> or floppy.

The need for a disk image might be fixed.

> the virtual machine.  I have found some guest OSes have trouble
> determining the drive geometry under QEMU and you end up having to do
> something like 'qemu -hdachs 8367,16,63 c.img' to get everything
> working.  They also seem to tweak the command line options from
> version to version, so you may find other options that either change
> or improve behavior under Windows.

Plan 9 doesn't need -hdachs, for what it's worth.

> Charon supports Gmail now, so I'm getting closer....

It does !?!?  In full mode or in Gmail's "stupid web browser" mode?

Russ

* Re: [9fans] using qemu
@ 2005-04-21 13:06       ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2005-04-21 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

It matters where you get your qemu.exe from.
There was a change to qemu in December to better
simulate ATA drives, specifically to help Plan 9.

Is this with the ReactOS qemu.exe (which others say
works) or another one that you found?

Russ

* Re: [9fans] using qemu
@ 2005-04-21 13:20         ` Robert Raschke
From: Robert Raschke @ 2005-04-21 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

I downloaded qemu from freeoszoo.org.  There is an image file for
ReactOS on that page, but somehow I feel that is not what you mean.
Should I get the bleeding edge daily build instead of v0.6.1?  I'll
give that a try.

I managed to get a CD mount thingy from MS itself:
winxpvirtualcdcontrolpanel_21 (for example via
http://www.tech-recipes.com/windows_tips620.html)

Ta,
Robby

* Re: [9fans] slightly ot: how can I get vmware 4.5?
@ 2005-04-21 13:28       ` C H Forsyth
From: C H Forsyth @ 2005-04-21 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: russcox, 9fans

currently just `stupid web browser' mode.
i don't yet know what it expects for the full mode.
something awful, probably.

* Re: [9fans] using qemu
@ 2005-04-21 14:29           ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2005-04-21 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

If you are running on linux I suggest the QEMU CVS and the KQEMU
accelerator also.

On 4/21/05, Robert Raschke <rrplan9@tombob.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I downloaded qemu from freeoszoo.org.  There is an image file for
> ReactOS on that page, but somehow I feel that is not what you mean.
> Should I get the bleeding edge daily build instead of v0.6.1?  I'll
> give that a try.
>
> I managed to get a CD mount thingy from MS itself:
> winxpvirtualcdcontrolpanel_21 (for example via
> http://www.tech-recipes.com/windows_tips620.html)
>
> Ta,
> Robby

* Re: [9fans] using qemu
@ 2005-04-21 21:09           ` Jack Johnson
From: Jack Johnson @ 2005-04-21 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 4/21/05, Robert Raschke <rrplan9@tombob.com> wrote:
> I downloaded qemu from freeoszoo.org.  There is an image file for
> ReactOS on that page, but somehow I feel that is not what you mean.
> Should I get the bleeding edge daily build instead of v0.6.1?  I'll
> give that a try.

Try this:

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/reactos/reactos0.2.6-REL-qemu.zip?download

-Jack

* Re: [9fans] using qemu
@ 2005-04-25 15:25             ` Eric Van Hensbergen
From: Eric Van Hensbergen @ 2005-04-25 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I was playing around with using Qemu and Plan 9 this weekend -- things
actually seemed quite snappy and everything worked great when I booted
from the CDROM.  However, if I did an install to a disk and then tried
to boot, I'd see the Initial boot messages:

Booting from Hard Disk....
MBR...PBS...Plan 9 from Bell Labs
ELCR: 0000
45MHz Pentium II loop 2839
apm ax=f000 ...
dev A0 port 1F0 ...
dev A0 port 170 ...

and then it just seems to hang (although qemu is still eating up all my CPU ;)

Did I do something wrong?  Do we have a wiki entry with step-by-step
on using qemu (I looked quickly but didn't see one, is it buried
somewhere)?  Should we?

        -eric

* Re: [9fans] using qemu
@ 2005-04-25 15:36               ` Russ Cox
       [not found]                 ` <a4e6962a05042508507d15acf9@mail.gmail.com>
From: Russ Cox @ 2005-04-25 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Van Hensbergen, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Did you build from CVS?  Did you install from a recent CDROM?
It looks like your 9load is old.  You can work around this by
giving qemu a CDROM image to present in the drive.

On 4/25/05, Eric Van Hensbergen <ericvh@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was playing around with using Qemu and Plan 9 this weekend -- things
> actually seemed quite snappy and everything worked great when I booted
> from the CDROM.  However, if I did an install to a disk and then tried
> to boot, I'd see the Initial boot messages:
>
> Booting from Hard Disk....
> MBR...PBS...Plan 9 from Bell Labs
> ELCR: 0000
> 45MHz Pentium II loop 2839
> apm ax=f000 ...
> dev A0 port 1F0 ...
> dev A0 port 170 ...
>
> and then it just seems to hang (although qemu is still eating up all my CPU ;)
>
> Did I do something wrong?  Do we have a wiki entry with step-by-step
> on using qemu (I looked quickly but didn't see one, is it buried
> somewhere)?  Should we?
>
>         -eric

* Re: [9fans] using qemu
       [not found]                   ` <ee9e417a050425090238883796@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2005-04-25 16:07                     ` Eric Van Hensbergen
From: Eric Van Hensbergen @ 2005-04-25 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russ Cox; +Cc: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Thanks Russ...

@ 2005-04-20  4:16     ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2005-04-20  4:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 4/19/05, Robert Raschke <rrplan9@tombob.com> wrote:
> ron wrote:
> > does qemu run on windows at this point? I still don't think that given the
> > existence of Xen and qemu ports, that VMWare is worth the trouble.

QEMU is particularly good on linux with the kqemu accelerator for
linux.  I've had a good bit of luck with it.

Dave

* Re: [9fans] slightly ot: how can I get vmware 4.5?
@ 2005-04-19 20:48   ` Robert Raschke
From: Robert Raschke @ 2005-04-19 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

ron wrote:
> does qemu run on windows at this point? I still don't think that given the
> existence of Xen and qemu ports, that VMWare is worth the trouble.

I haven't yet looked at qemu, but Xen is a non-starter for me, as I'm
constrained to Windows and can't change that.  Luckily, at home most
things are lovely Plan 9.

I'll investigate qemu.  I managed to get VMWare5 past the hanging
stage by moving the CD to SCSI (as is suggested in the wiki for
version 4), but now have vga hell.  Yamanashi Takeshi pointed out that
there might be VESA support, but then I'm still not clear on how to
bootstrap my way in.  I guess console and ed would get me started.

I am finding that I have been infiltrated by the acme virus.  I've
turned into one of these people who are rabid about the editor they
love, oh no ;-) Spending 8 hours a day in front of a machine that does
not support mouse chording et al.  is proving to be hard.  (I've
managed to accidentally close down applications due to unwitting use
of mouse buttons in Windows.) OK, I'll stop whining now.

Robby

* Re: [9fans] slightly ot: how can I get vmware 4.5?
@ 2005-04-19 20:24   ` Derek Fawcus
From: Derek Fawcus @ 2005-04-19 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, Apr 19, 2005 at 09:00:56AM -0600, Ronald G. Minnich wrote:

> does qemu run on windows at this point? I still don't think that given the
> existence of Xen and qemu ports, that VMWare is worth the trouble.

Purportedly.  Some of the features (the console / monitor switch) were added
specifically for windows.

DF

* Re: [9fans] slightly ot: how can I get vmware 4.5?
@ 2005-04-19 15:00 ` Ronald G. Minnich
From: Ronald G. Minnich @ 2005-04-19 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

does qemu run on windows at this point? I still don't think that given the
existence of Xen and qemu ports, that VMWare is worth the trouble.

ron

* [9fans] slightly ot: how can I get vmware 4.5?
@ 2005-04-19  9:01 Robert Raschke
From: Robert Raschke @ 2005-04-19  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

I have recently found the need to use P9 in a Windows only environment
(new job).  I thought I'd "just" use VMWare for that.  But it turns
out I seem to have just missed my window of opportunity, as VMWare are
quite agressively not wanting to let me use version 4.5, but insist I
(and everyone else from now on, as far as I can see) use version 5.

I don't have much time on trying to make P9 work on VMWare 5, so I was
wondering if anyone on this list has any ideas how I could persuade
VMWare to sell me a 4.5 license?

I didn't get very far in trying out version 5 yet (somebody else was
having difficulties as well on this list, if I remember correctly).  I
guess I'll have another go at some point ...

Thanks for any pointers,
Robby