* [9fans] Looking to buy Plan 9 full kit from 1995
@ 2007-03-24  4:56 reidc
From: reidc @ 2007-03-24  4:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

* Re: [9fans] Looking to buy Plan 9 full kit from 1995
@ 2007-03-25 14:32 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2007-03-25 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: reidc, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 3/24/07, reidc@cableone.net <reidc@cableone.net> wrote:
>     Hi,
>
>            I am looking to buy a full Plan 9 kit from 1995.
>  "The full kit (ISBN 0-03-017143-1) will be shipped with a CD-ROM, four
> diskettes and two manuals."

There are very few reasons why one would want this kit
instead of downloading a current CD from
http://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9 and buying printed
manuals from Vita Nuova.

What are yours?  (I'm just curious.)

I don't know of any current sources for buying the 1995 set.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] Looking to buy Plan 9 full kit from 1995
@ 2007-03-25 17:41   ` Anthony Sorace
From: Anthony Sorace @ 2007-03-25 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 3/25/07, Russ Cox <rsc@swtch.com> wrote:
> There are very few reasons why one would want this kit
> instead of downloading a current CD from
> http://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9 and buying printed
> manuals from Vita Nuova.

Note that VN's kit also comes with the CD; should be everything you
need, at least on a PC.

> What are yours?  (I'm just curious.)
>
> I don't know of any current sources for buying the 1995 set.

indeed. i had a full set back in '97-ish, but have since lost the
disks. a few years ago i tried to replace them; amazon had a used full
set available for about $650, which was way to high just to satisfy my
sense of historical completeness. now all they've got is something
ambiguously called "Plan 9 From Bell Labs (Paperback)" which, if you
read the comments, seems to be a photocopied reprint (and i'm still
not sure which volume it's a reprint of, although i imagine Volume 1;
several such things were created at the Labs once we could no longer
get hard copies for new hires) for $15.

* Re: [9fans] Looking to buy Plan 9 full kit from 1995
@ 2007-03-25 22:30   ` Laurent Malvert
From: Laurent Malvert @ 2007-03-25 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 3/25/07, Russ Cox <rsc@swtch.com> wrote:
> On 3/24/07, reidc@cableone.net <reidc@cableone.net> wrote:
> >     Hi,
> >
> >            I am looking to buy a full Plan 9 kit from 1995.
> >  "The full kit (ISBN 0-03-017143-1) will be shipped with a CD-ROM, four
> > diskettes and two manuals."
>
> There are very few reasons why one would want this kit
> instead of downloading a current CD from
> http://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9 and buying printed
> manuals from Vita Nuova.

By the way, in the case of that Vita Nuova CD+manuals package, is the
CD being sold up to date with the current sources ? or is it the 2002
version of the 4th Edition ?

--
Laurent Malvert [laurent.malvert@gmail.com]

* Re: [9fans] Looking to buy Plan 9 full kit from 1995
@ 2007-03-26 10:01     ` C H Forsyth
From: C H Forsyth @ 2007-03-26 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>By the way, in the case of that Vita Nuova CD+manuals package, is the
>CD being sold up to date with the current sources ? or is it the 2002
>version of the 4th Edition ?

the CDs are written as needed and are usually reasonably current.
(`reasonably' because the .iso image that's used is fetched at particular times,
not always every time a CD is written.  if it looks too old, we download a new one.)

* Re: [9fans] Looking to buy Plan 9 full kit from 1995
@ 2007-03-26 23:53       ` Laurent Malvert
From: Laurent Malvert @ 2007-03-26 23:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 3/26/07, C H Forsyth <forsyth@vitanuova.com> wrote:
> >By the way, in the case of that Vita Nuova CD+manuals package, is the
> >CD being sold up to date with the current sources ? or is it the 2002
> >version of the 4th Edition ?
>
> the CDs are written as needed and are usually reasonably current.
> (`reasonably' because the .iso image that's used is fetched at particular times,
> not always every time a CD is written.  if it looks too old, we download a new one.)

nice. ongoing order :-)
but it's painful to notive that with shipping + taxes I pay 2x the
original price, argh.
worth it, though, in my opinion.

--

@ 2007-03-27 14:13         ` John Krug
From: John Krug @ 2007-03-27 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

As there appear to be a limited demand and I'm short of cash my copy
is for sale:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190097225655

Cheers,
John