* [9fans] omero/olive vs rio
@ 2008-11-25 18:13 Rudolf Sykora
From: Rudolf Sykora @ 2008-11-25 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello list,

can anybody compare for me the functionality of omero/olive to rio/acme?
Can windows in the former be 'hidden'?
How does the editor in olive compare to acme?
Does the olive environment behave more coherently than rio? (I mean
all --- rio, sam, acme --- have inconsistent behaviour, which makes me
slightly uncomfortable from time to time).
Are there any other 'window managers'? (more workspaces, eg.?)

Btw. is there a way in acme, having already something in a dot of some
at-the-instant nonactive window --- say a possible argument to the
Edit command --- to use the dot's content for an Edit command in
another window? I know that I can (re)mark it with a mouse and then
use the 2-1 chord. But without that remarking...

Thanks
Ruda

* Re: [9fans] omero/olive vs rio
@ 2008-11-25 18:17 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-11-25 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Does the olive environment behave more coherently than rio? (I mean
> all --- rio, sam, acme --- have inconsistent behaviour, which makes me
> slightly uncomfortable from time to time).
> Are there any other 'window managers'? (more workspaces, eg.?)

acme is a window manager.  running acme within acme is not necessary.
so saying that acme and rio are inconsistent is like complaining that gnome
running in Xnest is inconsistent within a parent kde desktop.

that being said, russ did have (at least for a time) a -a flag for p9p rio that
made rio windows behave a lot like acme.  i kind of liked that.

of course, as you've noticed, this is fertile ground for new ideas.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] omero/olive vs rio
@ 2008-11-25 18:24 ` Francisco J Ballesteros
From: Francisco J Ballesteros @ 2008-11-25 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Well, they are different things (acme, omero, rio)
acme is more robust (and more used)

I'd take a look to the olive(1) man page.

In short, omero/olive has graphics and
distributed UIs.