From: Andrew Back <andrew@abopen.com>
To: 9fans@9fans.net
Subject: Re: [9fans] RISC-V SoC available in Europe?
Date: Thu, 16 May 2024 10:13:45 +0100	[thread overview]

On 16/05/2024 09:54, tlaronde@kergis.com wrote:

> I add these that I finally found (not easily) in France. From
> Microchip, the expensive:
>
> https://www.mouser.fr/ProductDetail/494-MPFSICICLE-KITES
>
> and this:
>
> https://www.mouser.fr/ProductDetail/Microchip-Technology/MPFS-DISCO-KIT?qs=mELouGlnn3f1eYzoy8b3wQ%3D%3D
>
> If someone has a technical advice (in the hardware area, I'm a
> beginner) about whether the expensive one is justified because it will
> allow far more information for debugging, testing etc. I will gladly
> listen.

The Microchip dev kit has an on-board programmer, whereas with BeagleV
Fire you need to buy a USB programmer, but the cheaper of the two
options is around 100 Euro. This is used to load the bitstream which
configures the FPGA and I wasn't sure about RISC-V CPU debug, but a
quick search turned up this page on the Zephyr website which suggests
that the same FlashPro5/6 hardware can be used with GDB.

https://docs.zephyrproject.org/latest/boards/beagle/beaglev_fire/doc/index.html#debugging

Other than that it looks like the official dev kit maybe has more I/O
and also a full size PCIe slot, rather than M.2. You'd need to compare
the datasheets, but generally speaking the official dev kit will be
aimed more at companies who want to do custom hardware designs and so it
may have things like additional test points, and will be the officially
supported platform if you're working with Microchip. Whereas the BeagleV
Fire board is targeted more at enthusiasts and being more accessible.

Andrew

--
Andrew Back
https://abopen.com