* [9fans] Raspberry Pi400 Ethernet
       [not found] <601087538.1280146.1622224718850.ref@mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2021-05-28 17:58 ` Brian L. Stuart
From: Brian L. Stuart @ 2021-05-28 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

So I picked up a pi400 and everything seems happy
except the Ethernet.  I'm using Richard's latest 9pi.img
from 9p.io.  At least, I'm pretty sure it's the latest; it
does include the /dev/serial driver.  The network switch
is showing the hardware to be happy and I'm using a
cable that has been working with a Pi3, but ipconf
times out with a "no success with DHCP" error.  Anyone
have any wisdom that I'm overlooking?

Also, Richard, I'm going to send you a bug fix for devspi
soon.  I discovered that attempting to acces spictl is
broken.

BLS

* Re: [9fans] Raspberry Pi400 Ethernet
@ 2021-05-28 18:05   ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2021-05-28 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

This might be helpful:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hgcsAgk_FJRYW5r7LVeY23sTZN_giUit-8ra-dlW9ng/edit?usp=sharing

@ 2021-05-28 18:10     ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2021-05-28 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Regarding dhcpd, to pxeboot, this diff is needed (also referenced in
the previous doc):
https://gist.github.com/9nut/5a3829356b6d0ce3ae47e2f390df7442

@ 2021-05-28 18:26       ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2021-05-28 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I have no personal experience of the pi400 but I believe the ethernet
hardware is identical to the pi4. Could it be a configuration problem?
Can you run snoopy or equivalent on the network segment and see if the
dhcp requests are being transmitted? And check the dhcp server log to
see if there's a reason for non-response? Also you can try using
ipconfig to set a specific ip address and gateway without using
dhcp, to see if it's a dhcp problem or a more fundamental ethernet problem.

* Re: [9fans] Raspberry Pi400 Ethernet
@ 2021-05-28 18:39         ` Brian L. Stuart
From: Brian L. Stuart @ 2021-05-28 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I'm inclined to think you're on the right track with
a dhcp problem.  It seems to be working fine if I
set the address manually on the command line.
The really odd part is I just moved the SD card over
from a pi3 that was booting fine with dhcp.  I'll keep
digging.

BLS

@ 2021-05-28 18:51           ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2021-05-28 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> The really odd part is I just moved the SD card over
> from a pi3 that was booting fine with dhcp.

Does the MAC address in the dhcp request look right?

* Re: [9fans] Raspberry Pi400 Ethernet
@ 2021-05-28 19:11         ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2021-05-28 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

hi Brian,

pi4 ether worked out of the box for me with richards kernel, i am running a kernel from Christmas.

sadly i have had problems with usb3 which is on my todo list - usb2 devices work fine as do usb3 devices in usb2 sockets.

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] Raspberry Pi400 Ethernet
@ 2021-05-28 19:11             ` Brian L. Stuart
From: Brian L. Stuart @ 2021-05-28 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Friday, May 28, 2021, 2:52:35 PM EDT, Richard Miller <9fans@hamnavoe.com> wrote:
>> The really odd part is I just moved the SD card over
>> from a pi3 that was booting fine with dhcp.
>
> Does the MAC address in the dhcp request look right?

It does.  I'm at a loss to explain it, but I ended up rebooting
my auth/dhcp server and now everything is working.

False alarm, I guess.

Thanks,

@ 2021-05-28 20:09               ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2021-05-28 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

might be this (from the diffs gist i posted earlier):
    case ODtftpserver: /* RPi4s request it for no-SD netbooting
without hardcoding TFTP_IP in EEPROM */

@ 2021-05-28 20:36                 ` Brian L. Stuart
From: Brian L. Stuart @ 2021-05-28 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I'll check on that.  Though in this case, I was booting
from the SD card and then running ipconfig by hand
to get an address.

BLS

@ 2021-05-28 20:50           ` Brian L. Stuart
From: Brian L. Stuart @ 2021-05-28 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Friday, May 28, 2021, 3:12:26 PM EDT, Steve Simon <steve@quintile.net> wrote:
> sadly i have had problems with usb3 which is on
> my todo list - usb2 devices work fine as do usb3
> devices in usb2 sockets.

I'll definitely keep that in mind.  I haven't been
trying to use any USB3 devices, but who know
what'll happen.

BLS