* [9fans] Any Brits going to iwp9? ...
@ 2008-08-25 11:56 dave.l
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: dave.l @ 2008-08-25 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

... and any great travel plans to share?

DaveL

* Re: [9fans] Any Brits going to iwp9? ...
@ 2008-08-25 12:11 ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2008-08-25 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Any Brits going to iwp9? ...
> ... and any great travel plans to share?

yes, and "i must sort that out"

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] Any Brits going to iwp9? ...
@ 2008-08-25 15:56   ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2008-08-25 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I'm currently enjoying cheap wine with some friends in Saloniki. If
you get a cheap ticket you can go to Volos from here with the bus (it
is much more comfortable than the train).
From the airport to the bus station you will have to travel to the
other side of the city, which can take quite some time (there will be
a munical bus numbered 78, which will go to both the bus (ΚΤΕΛ) and
train station for 1€). Taxis are a bit expensive from the airport, but
it's still affordable here.
Here is the timetable for the munical bus:
http://www.oasth.gr/routes/route_eng.php?route_num=78
The timetables for the ΚΤΕΛ busses will hopefully be updated in time:
http://www.ktelvolou.gr/dromologia_ath_ther.html

I'm going to start studying in Germany in a few weeks, so I'm not sure
if I'm able to come. Germans from NRW should try to get a germanwings
ticket fast (they're still quite cheap; got one for under 100€).

Perhaps some other guy could tell how to get to Volos from Athens...

* Re: [9fans] Any Brits going to iwp9? ...
@ 2008-08-25 17:39 ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2008-08-25 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> ... and any great travel plans to share?

Hardly a Brit and going via Italy, but I'll be there.

@ 2008-08-27  9:51 ` Jonas A
From: Jonas A @ 2008-08-27  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello!

This is my travelling plans from Sweden;

Tuesday 28th: Train from Trollh�ttan to Copenhagen. Fly from there to
Thessaloniki in Greece (changing flights in Frankfurt am Main).

>From Thessaloniki [???????????] (second largest city in Greece) I'll
take the train
to Larisa [???????] and from there the train to Volos [?????]. To
figure this out,
I had to use 1) Thomas Cook rail atlas over Europe 2) www.ose.gr and
3) google
translate. As far as I have figured, OSE only show direct connexions,
you have
to _know_ where to change trains. But then, I don't understand greek.

I have yet to decide if I am sleeping one night in Thessaloniki before
I go to
Volos, or if will try to catch a late train, giving me a whole day to
relax in Volos,
before the workshop begins.

I am thinking of staying at Alexandros hotel instead of Park hotel, as
the former
seems to be a bit cheaper (I asked Park Hotel about the IWP9 discount,
but it was EUR68 a night, and Alexandros was like EUR49). Have not
booked yet.

My flight back from Thessaloniki is on sunday 2th October before
lunch, so I
will take the train the day before. I have tried to avoid to tight
margins, to minimise
the risk of getting stuck somewhere. :-)

/Jonas (this is by the way, my first post to this group)

* Re: [9fans] Any Brits going to iwp9? ...
@ 2008-08-27 10:19   ` matt
From: matt @ 2008-08-27 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> yes, and "i must sort that out"
>
> -Steve

Like wise with the "must sort that out" part

I plan to go via train nottingham - london - paris - italy - greece
(including a couple of ferries)

Last time I tried to sort it the timetables for Oct. weren't complete
but it's time to look again now

* Re: [9fans] Any Brits going to iwp9? ...
@ 2008-08-27 11:21     ` matt
From: matt @ 2008-08-27 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> I plan to go via train nottingham - london - paris - italy - greece
> (including a couple of ferries)
>
> Last time I tried to sort it the timetables for Oct. weren't complete
> but it's time to look again now

naturally, 5 mins after I sent this I got told about a feature film were
shooting up until the Thursday so it looks like I'll be flying out last
minute, hopefully I'll catch the train back.

dammit !!

* Re: [9fans] Any Brits going to iwp9? ...
@ 2008-08-27 12:08     ` spyros lalis
From: spyros lalis @ 2008-08-27 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Public transportation from Athens to Volos is via train
(you must usually change trains in Larissa) or bus.

To reach the "Liosion" intercity bus station from the airport:

Option 1, via the metro (about 60')
* from the airport take line 3 (Line 3), direction "Egaleo"
* at "Monastiraki" change to line 1, direction "Kifisia"
* get off at "Kato Patissia"
* walk to the bus station (+15')

Option 2, via suburban rail and metro (about 45')
* from the airport take the suburban railway, direction "Larissa"
* at "Neratziotisa" change to metro line 1, direction "Piraeus"
* get off at "Kato Patissia"
* walk to the bus station (+15')

A map that shows how to reach the bus station from "Kato Patissia"
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&ll=38.011549,23.725061&spn=0.00754,0.012939&z=16&msid=100308688324317463199.0004556f172375b58a10c

Option 3, via bus (no idea how much this takes):
* take bus X93 from the airport, which passes
   by the "Liosion" intercity bus station

To reach the "Larissa" train station from the airport:

Option 1, via the metro (about 45')
* from the airport take line 3, direction "Egaleo"
* at "Syntagma" change to line 2, direction "Aghios Antonios"
* get off at "Larissa"
* walk over to the nearby train station

Option 2, via the suburban rail (about 40')
* from the airport take the suburban railway, direction "Larissa"
* get off at "Larissa"

Note that the station "Larissa" is an abbreviation
for "Train Station to Larissa", not the city itself.

We will try to collect relevant timetable information
for train and bus connections from Athens/Thessaloniki
(some of this is not yet available and/or in Greek).
I will send a note when done.

@ 2008-08-31 12:34   ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2008-08-31 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 12:51 PM, Jonas A <jonas.amoson@home.se> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> This is my travelling plans from Sweden;
>
> Tuesday 28th: Train from Trollhättan to Copenhagen. Fly from there to
> Thessaloniki in Greece (changing flights in Frankfurt am Main).
>
> From Thessaloniki [???????????] (second largest city in Greece) I'll
> take the train
> to Larisa [???????] and from there the train to Volos [?????]. To
> figure this out,
> I had to use 1) Thomas Cook rail atlas over Europe 2) www.ose.gr and
> 3) google
> translate. As far as I have figured, OSE only show direct connexions,
> you have
> to _know_ where to change trains. But then, I don't understand greek.
>
> I have yet to decide if I am sleeping one night in Thessaloniki before
> I go to
> Volos, or if will try to catch a late train, giving me a whole day to
> relax in Volos,
> before the workshop begins.
>
> I am thinking of staying at Alexandros hotel instead of Park hotel, as
> the former
> seems to be a bit cheaper (I asked Park Hotel about the IWP9 discount,
> but it was EUR68 a night, and Alexandros was like EUR49). Have not
> booked yet.
>
> My flight back from Thessaloniki is on sunday 2th October before
> lunch, so I
> will take the train the day before. I have tried to avoid to tight
> margins, to minimise
> the risk of getting stuck somewhere. :-)
>
> /Jonas (this is by the way, my first post to this group)

How long does the train take from Saloniki to Volos? I couldn't find
anything about that, a lot of people here claim that it takes ages:)

* Re: [9fans] Any Brits going to iwp9? ...
@ 2008-10-09  9:08       ` sqweek
From: sqweek @ 2008-10-09  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 8:08 PM, spyros lalis <lalis@inf.uth.gr> wrote:
> We will try to collect relevant timetable information
> for train and bus connections from Athens/Thessaloniki
> (some of this is not yet available and/or in Greek).
> I will send a note when done.

 Hi spyros,
 Is this information still forthcoming?
 Thanks for what you've posted so far.
-sqweek

* Re: [9fans] Any Brits going to iwp9? ...
@ 2008-10-09 13:31     ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2008-10-09 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> The timetables for the ΚΤΕΛ busses will hopefully be updated in time:
> http://www.ktelvolou.gr/dromologia_ath_ther.html

Of course they didn't only update it, but also changed the URL.
This is the timetable for the busses connecting volos to athens and saloniki:
http://www.ktelvolou.gr/dromologia_ath_xeim.html

ΠΡΟΟΡΙΣΜΟΣ = Destination
ΑΘΗΝΑ = Athens
θΕΣΣΑΛΟΝΙΚΗ = Saloniki

ΚΑΘΗΜΕΡΙΝΩΝ = Daily
ΣΑΒΒΑΤΟΥ = Saturdays
ΚΥΡΙΑΚΗΣ = Sundays

ΑΝΑΧΩΡΗΣΗ = Departure
ΕΠΙΣΤΡΟΦΗ = return trip (what you want for going to Volos)

ΑΝΕΚΤΕΛΕΣΤΟ = not served
ΚΥΡΙΑΚΕΣ ΚΑΙ ΕΟΡΤΕΣ = Sundays and holidays
"ΤΟ ΔΡΟΜΟΛΟΓΙΟ 04:30 ΒΟΛΟΣ-ΘΕΣΣΑΛΟΝΙΚΗ ΚΥΡΙΑΚΕΣ ΚΑΙ ΕΟΡΤΕΣ
ΑΝΕΚΤΕΛΕΣΤΟ" = the route 04:30 Volos-Thessaloniki is not served at
Sundays and holidays.

And if you have to stay in Saloniki for a day (i.e. a late plane) take
the chance and see the city. It is not very big and you can see a lot
of interesting places by foot.

* Re: [9fans] Any Brits going to iwp9? ...
@ 2008-10-09 13:57       ` spyros lalis
From: spyros lalis @ 2008-10-09 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

We have placed some travel info on

http://iwp9.inf.uth.gr/travel.html

(can also be reached from the main page)

What is missing is the railway info,
which we hope to gather pretty soon.

cheers

* Re: [9fans] Any Brits going to iwp9? ...
@ 2008-10-09 13:57       ` Noah Evans
From: Noah Evans @ 2008-10-09 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I think a few folks are going to try to catch an evening bus out of
Athens on the night of the 29th. IIRC there are buses at 6 8 and 10pm
if anyone would like to coordinate.

http://www.uva-aias.net/files/lower/Transport%20to%20Volos1.pdf

Noah