* [9fans] Questions about plan9.
@ 2008-11-04 13:04 nolan.h.hamilton
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: nolan.h.hamilton @ 2008-11-04 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi, I just recently fell in love with plan9, it's a great operating
system, However there are somethings I do not know how to do.

1.  How can I get internet through a ethernet cord?(I am not sure
which ethernet card I have , but the computer I have is a Dell
Dimension 1100.)

2.  Were can I get a good tutorial on the plan9 C compiler( I have
already read: "How to use the plan9 C compiler" by Rob PIke.)

* Re: [9fans] Questions about plan9.
@ 2008-11-04 13:35 ` Pietro Gagliardi
From: Pietro Gagliardi @ 2008-11-04 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Nov 4, 2008, at 8:04 AM, nolan.h.hamilton@gmail.com wrote:

> Hi, I just recently fell in love with plan9, it's a great operating
> system, However there are somethings I do not know how to do.
>
> 1.  How can I get internet through a ethernet cord?(I am not sure
> which ethernet card I have , but the computer I have is a Dell
> Dimension 1100.)

Try
% ndb/dns -r
% ip/ipconfig
If that doesn't work, use the device manager on another system, such
as a Linux LiveCD, to find out the chip.

> 2.  Were can I get a good tutorial on the plan9 C compiler( I have
> already read: "How to use the plan9 C compiler" by Rob PIke.)

I'll put a draft of one I'm making on sources later.

* Re: [9fans] Questions about plan9.
@ 2008-11-04 15:24 ` Nolan Hamilton
From: Nolan Hamilton @ 2008-11-04 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Nov 4, 3:39�am, pietr...@mac.com (Pietro Gagliardi) wrote:
> On Nov 4, 2008, at 8:04 AM, nolan.h.hamil...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > Hi, I just recently fell in love with plan9, it's a great operating
> > system, However there are somethings I do not know how to do.
>
> > 1. �How can I get internet through a ethernet cord?(I am not sure
> > which ethernet card I have , but the computer I have is a Dell
> > Dimension 1100.)
>
> Try
> % ndb/dns -r
> % ip/ipconfig
> If that doesn't work, use the device manager on another system, such �
> as a Linux LiveCD, to find out the chip.
>
> > 2. �Were can I get a good tutorial on the plan9 C compiler( I have
> > already read: "How to use the plan9 C compiler" by Rob PIke.)
>
> I'll put a draft of one I'm making on sources later.
>
> �PGP.sig
> < 1KViewDownload

Thanks alot,  for the help unfortunately when I use the command ndb/
dns -r it says "cant read my ip adress".
Ill try a linux livecd.
Thank you very much for the C tutorial though.

From: Nolan Hamilton @ 2008-11-04 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Nov 4, 3:39�am, pietr...@mac.com (Pietro Gagliardi) wrote:
> On Nov 4, 2008, at 8:04 AM, nolan.h.hamil...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > Hi, I just recently fell in love with plan9, it's a great operating
> > system, However there are somethings I do not know how to do.
>
> > 1. �How can I get internet through a ethernet cord?(I am not sure
> > which ethernet card I have , but the computer I have is a Dell
> > Dimension 1100.)
>
> Try
> % ndb/dns -r
> % ip/ipconfig
> If that doesn't work, use the device manager on another system, such �
> as a Linux LiveCD, to find out the chip.
>
> > 2. �Were can I get a good tutorial on the plan9 C compiler( I have
> > already read: "How to use the plan9 C compiler" by Rob PIke.)
>
> I'll put a draft of one I'm making on sources later.
>
> �PGP.sig
> < 1KViewDownload

Sorry, I forgot to plug in my ehternet cord hahah, but I used both of
you commands, no error messages.  So emmm I guess everything is
working.

* Re: [9fans] Questions about plan9.
@ 2008-11-04 15:38   ` C H Forsyth
From: C H Forsyth @ 2008-11-04 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>ut I used both of you commands, no error messages

ip/ipconfig -D
will print a little bit more (and i mean `a', `little' and `bit')

* Re: [9fans] Questions about plan9.
@ 2008-11-04 16:39   ` Nolan Hamilton
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Nolan Hamilton @ 2008-11-04 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Can somebody give me instructions on
1.  How can I can configure mail? ( and do not just redirect me to the
wiki page on it.)
2.  How can I read newsgroups on plan9?

Internet works and everything.

* Re: [9fans] Questions about plan9.
@ 2008-11-04 17:03     ` Robert Raschke
From: Robert Raschke @ 2008-11-04 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 4:39 PM, Nolan Hamilton
<nolan.h.hamilton@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can somebody give me instructions on
> 1.  How can I can configure mail? ( and do not just redirect me to the
> wiki page on it.)

:-)

Do you mean reading mail or setting up a mail server? For the former,
the easiest is to use Mail inside of Acme. Not sure if this is the
latest greatest way to do it, but this is how I've done it for the
past four years and a bit.

In your lib/profile you will want to start upas/fs .

You can then open a mailbox on a remote IMAP server like this for
example (this will use factotum to prompt for your password):
  echo 'open /imap/your.imap.server/your.username local.box.name' >/mail/fs/ctl

And in Acme use "Mail local.box.name" to start the mail reader.

> 2.  How can I read newsgroups on plan9?

Hmm, can't seem to get to the contrib stuff on sources just now, so
here's how I do News for myself: http://www.tombob.com/plan9/

Robby

* Re: [9fans] Questions about plan9.
@ 2008-11-04 17:27     ` Nolan Hamilton
From: Nolan Hamilton @ 2008-11-04 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Nov 4, 7:06�am, rtrli...@googlemail.com (Robert Raschke) wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 4:39 PM, Nolan Hamilton
>
> <nolan.h.hamil...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Can somebody give me instructions on
> > 1. �How can I can configure mail? ( and do not just redirect me to the
> > wiki page on it.)
>
> :-)
>
> Do you mean reading mail or setting up a mail server? For the former,
> the easiest is to use Mail inside of Acme. Not sure if this is the
> latest greatest way to do it, but this is how I've done it for the
> past four years and a bit.
>
> In your lib/profile you will want to start upas/fs .
>
> You can then open a mailbox on a remote IMAP server like this for
> example (this will use factotum to prompt for your password):
> � echo 'open /imap/your.imap.server/your.username local.box.name' >/mail/fs/ctl
>
> And in Acme use "Mail local.box.name" to start the mail reader.
>
> > 2. �How can I read newsgroups on plan9?
>
> Hmm, can't seem to get to the contrib stuff on sources just now, so
> here's how I do News for myself:http://www.tombob.com/plan9/
>
> Robby

Thanks alot, people in comp.os.plan9 are much more polite then in
comp.os.vms.

* Re: [9fans] Questions about plan9.
@ 2008-11-04 19:44       ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2008-11-04 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Thanks alot, people in comp.os.plan9 are much more polite then in
> comp.os.vms.

you should not be too sure about that *g*

* Re: [9fans] Questions about plan9.
@ 2008-11-05  7:57         ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2008-11-05  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

in general any decent 9fan will help. it's only the jerks who get abused.

there is no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people.

brucee

@ 2008-11-05  9:37     ` Nolan Hamilton
From: Nolan Hamilton @ 2008-11-05  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Nov 4, 7:27�am, Nolan Hamilton <nolan.h.hamil...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 4, 7:06�am, rtrli...@googlemail.com (Robert Raschke) wrote:
>

> > On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 4:39 PM, Nolan Hamilton
>
> > <nolan.h.hamil...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Can somebody give me instructions on
> > > 1. �How can I can configure mail? ( and do not just redirect me to the
> > > wiki page on it.)
>
> > :-)
>
> > Do you mean reading mail or setting up a mail server? For the former,
> > the easiest is to use Mail inside of Acme. Not sure if this is the
> > latest greatest way to do it, but this is how I've done it for the
> > past four years and a bit.
>
> > In your lib/profile you will want to start upas/fs .
>
> > You can then open a mailbox on a remote IMAP server like this for
> > example (this will use factotum to prompt for your password):
> > � echo 'open /imap/your.imap.server/your.username local.box.name' >/mail/fs/ctl
>
> > And in Acme use "Mail local.box.name" to start the mail reader.
>
> > > 2. �How can I read newsgroups on plan9?
>
> > Hmm, can't seem to get to the contrib stuff on sources just now, so
> > here's how I do News for myself:http://www.tombob.com/plan9/
>
> > Robby
>
> Thanks alot, people in comp.os.plan9 are much more polite then in
> comp.os.vms.

It dosent work unfortunatley its probally something I did, can you
really break each step down for me?
Sorry!

* Re: [9fans] Questions about plan9.
@ 2008-11-05 10:58           ` Eris Discordia
From: Eris Discordia @ 2008-11-05 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> it's only the jerks who get abused.

Yes, he's right. It's the victim's fault.

--On Wednesday, November 05, 2008 9:57 AM +0200 Bruce Ellis

@ 2008-11-05 10:59       ` Robert Raschke
From: Robert Raschke @ 2008-11-05 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 9:37 AM, Nolan Hamilton
<nolan.h.hamilton@gmail.com> wrote:
> It dosent work unfortunatley its probally something I did, can you
> really break each step down for me?
> Sorry!

What doesn't work? You can't start upas/fs? Writing to /mail/fs/ctl
doesn't work? Or Acme Mail doesn't work?

Robby

* Re: [9fans] Questions about plan9.
@ 2008-11-05 12:09       ` John Waters
From: John Waters @ 2008-11-05 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

The regulars on that group spend their days either playing bingo at the
community center, chasing kids off their yard with a broom, or posting to
that USENET group. :)

On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 8:27 PM, Nolan Hamilton

@ 2008-11-05 17:34       ` a
From: a @ 2008-11-05 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

// It dosent work unfortunatley its probally something I did,
// can you really break each step down for me?

At this point, you've been given all the references you need for
your stated goals. If something isn't working, you really ought
to provide a more detailed account of what you did and what
didn't work as expected. Just a transcript of the commands and
error messages would be a good start.
Anthony