* [9fans] 9P via serial links or USB
@ 2009-11-24 18:01 Enrico Weigelt
From: Enrico Weigelt @ 2009-11-24 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi folks,

did anyone already do some research on running 9P directly via
serial or USB links as interface for embedded devices, eg. digicams ?

I'm currently advertising an students project for developing an
gphoto2-fileserver, so a wide range of digicams (which do not
support usb mass storage protocol) can be mounted directly.
This project should also include a small study on using 9P
directly as the camera's protocol.

cu

 phone:  +49 36207 519931  email: weigelt@metux.de
 mobile: +49 174 7066481   icq:   210169427         skype: nekrad666

* Re: [9fans] 9P via serial links or USB
@ 2009-11-25  1:08 ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2009-11-25  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: weigelt, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

There already is a gphoto2 fs for fuse if I remember correctly. Though
I haven't heard of any camera with 9p yet.
But it's late and perhaps I misunderstand you.

@ 2009-11-25  2:28   ` Latchesar Ionkov
From: Latchesar Ionkov @ 2009-11-25  2:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

there is gphoto2 for 9p -- it was in the npfs repository for more than
4 years. I haven't checked it recently so I don't know if it still
compiles.

    Lucho

@ 2009-11-26 22:53   ` Enrico Weigelt
From: Enrico Weigelt @ 2009-11-26 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

* hiro <23hiro@googlemail.com> wrote:
> There already is a gphoto2 fs for fuse if I remember correctly.

Last time I heared, it was just planned.
Perhaps I'm not up2date and you've got a pointer for me ?

> Though I haven't heard of any camera with 9p yet.

Yep, that would be the next step: provide a toolkit for embedded
developers and encourage them to use it instead of the bogus
pptp+proprietary stuff.

Meanwhile I've made up another front:
I'm negotiating with an developer/producer of power meters and
similar products, which log their data to SD cards and have an
ethernet/IP interface.

At this point I'm thinking about an more thin approach for those
devices: put 9P on the lowest level possible, no IP, but a very
thin protocol (eg. somethink like IL, but directly ontop of eth ?),
just enough to carry 9P messages. Just an error-correcting (not
necessarily in-order) datagram protocol, which does not need an
explicit address assignment (eg. builtin 64bit device addresses ?).
These devices essentially just speak 9P - multiple devices on
the same network interface are represented within the fs hierachy.

@ 2009-11-26 22:54     ` Enrico Weigelt
From: Enrico Weigelt @ 2009-11-26 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

* Latchesar Ionkov <lucho@ionkov.net> wrote:
> there is gphoto2 for 9p -- it was in the npfs repository for more than
> 4 years. I haven't checked it recently so I don't know if it still
> compiles.

hmm, google doesnt show up anything on that.
do you have a pointer to it ?

@ 2009-11-26 23:14       ` Latchesar Ionkov
From: Latchesar Ionkov @ 2009-11-26 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/npfs

@ 2009-11-26 23:37         ` Enrico Weigelt
From: Enrico Weigelt @ 2009-11-26 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

* Latchesar Ionkov <lucho@ionkov.net> wrote:
> http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/npfs

hmm, the only available download I see here is spfs, which
doesnt seem to contain any SANE-related stuff.
did i miss something ?

@ 2009-11-26 23:51           ` Latchesar Ionkov
From: Latchesar Ionkov @ 2009-11-26 23:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: weigelt, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

you can get npfs from the subversion repository. there is gphotofs.c in fs/.

@ 2009-11-27  7:24     ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2009-11-27  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: weigelt, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

There was some stuff available even before 2004
I think I've used once one of these:
http://intr.overt.org/gphotofs/
http://www.hep.phy.cam.ac.uk/~lester/gphoto2-fuse-fs/