* Re: [9fans] current state of thread programming
@ 2008-07-30 12:50 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-07-30 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tlaronde, 9fans

> CSP is (for me) the best answer to problem involving blocking/waiting on
> input. But this is not parallelism.

i don't see how csp is *not* parallel processing.  as soon
as you have more than 1 work process per client, i would call
that parallel processing.

for example, the way ken's fs worked** with the worm is that
n readahead messages read from the rahqueue.  this meant
that they would block on input until there was something
to do.  since there were many cache drives and (i believe)
multiple optical drives, a request loop requesting n
blocks from the rah device could potentially get all the
physical drives going in parallel.

while ken's implementation might not fit the textbook
description of csp, it's pretty close in spirit.

one could argue that isn't *really* parallel because the
requests for the n blocks are made sequentially.
but since drives, operating on the timescale of tens of
milliseconds are competing with a processor working on
a nanosecond timescale.  that's effectively "all at once".

- erik

** the version in extra only starts one rah process and
uses an elevator algorithim on worm addresses.  this
works best on a single-disk system.

* Re: [9fans] current state of thread programming
@ 2008-08-05 10:34 Richard Maxwell Underwood
From: Richard Maxwell Underwood @ 2008-08-05 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Roman V. Shaposhnik writes:
>               If we were to oversimplify things [then the] brain
>is, at its core, limited by a very fundamental biological constraint:
>speed at which cells can communicate. A sort of "propagation delay"
>if we were to use electronics as an analogy. It seems to be agreed
>upon(*) that we can safely assume this constraint to limit our brain
>to about couple of hundred of processing steps per second. This is
>known as a "100 steps rule".

>                             Something is really, really wrong with
>the computing model we base our technology on, if even the slowest
>of the computers we can consider useful required a clock rate
>of KHz.

Either that or (like some brain scientists say) something is
really, really wrong or suboptimal about the human brain.

[parent not found: <9b1933b61c606e89a4cbbc93a4b5a204@quanstro.net>]
* [9fans] current state of thread programming
@ 2008-07-28 17:11 andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2008-07-28 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

found this snippet today and decided to share it with the list. every
once in a while a look at how "the rest of the world" does things is
beneficial :)

"I don't know about you, but every time I have to program with threads
and shared resources, I want to remove my face incrementally with a
salad fork. Locks, mutexes, the synchronized keyword; all of these
things can strike fear into the heart of a green developer. Most
seasoned developers just fall into a rut of depression when it's time
for multi-threading. Developers like me simply talk our way out of it.
It's easier than thinking."

full article: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/28/sun_dziuba_tm/