* [9fans] More USB audio
@ 2006-06-17 21:00 Jack Johnson
From: Jack Johnson @ 2006-06-17 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Excuse the spam.  I was poking through my junk snail mail and came
across these, thought the price was decent:

http://www.turtlebeach.com/site/products/audioadvantage/

Just in case someone is looking.  I haven't tried these, so don't know
if they're supported, but they're cheap enough for an experiment and
Turtle Beach usually has darned good quality.

-Jack

* Re: [9fans] More USB audio
@ 2006-06-18 17:13 ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2006-06-18 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

That's that outfit form York, Pennsylvania I believe.  We were fans of
them when I was a teenager and selling this stuff out of Electronics
Boutique.  :-)

I'm thinking I'll get one of these regardless of functionality with
Plan 9.  They were, at one time, SB16 compatible.

Dave

On 6/17/06, Jack Johnson <knapjack@gmail.com> wrote:
> Excuse the spam.  I was poking through my junk snail mail and came
> across these, thought the price was decent:
>
> http://www.turtlebeach.com/site/products/audioadvantage/
>
> Just in case someone is looking.  I haven't tried these, so don't know
> if they're supported, but they're cheap enough for an experiment and
> Turtle Beach usually has darned good quality.
>
> -Jack

* Re: [9fans] More USB audio
@ 2006-06-18 17:15   ` David Leimbach
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: David Leimbach @ 2006-06-18 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

That also reminds me.  I sort of passed a torch of sorts with that
OHCI USB adapter support in Plan 9 due to a lack of time.  Anyone know
what's going on there or if it's worth it since I guess USB2 support
should probably work in a degraded UHCI mode?

On 6/18/06, David Leimbach <leimy2k@gmail.com> wrote:
> That's that outfit form York, Pennsylvania I believe.  We were fans of
> them when I was a teenager and selling this stuff out of Electronics
> Boutique.  :-)
>
> I'm thinking I'll get one of these regardless of functionality with
> Plan 9.  They were, at one time, SB16 compatible.
>
> Dave
>
> On 6/17/06, Jack Johnson <knapjack@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Excuse the spam.  I was poking through my junk snail mail and came
> > across these, thought the price was decent:
> >
> > http://www.turtlebeach.com/site/products/audioadvantage/
> >
> > Just in case someone is looking.  I haven't tried these, so don't know
> > if they're supported, but they're cheap enough for an experiment and
> > Turtle Beach usually has darned good quality.
> >
> > -Jack

* Re: [9fans] More USB audio
@ 2006-06-18 19:02     ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2006-06-18 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>since I guess USB2 support should probably work in a degraded UHCI mode?

no, the auxiliary controller can be either UHCI or OHCI.
you always need two slightly cooperating USB drivers now.
i know, it's pathetic, but all the new things strive to
fit in well to the original PC model.

* Re: [9fans] More USB audio
@ 2006-06-19  4:10     ` geoff
From: geoff @ 2006-06-19  4:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I'd be interested in seeing whatever you produced, as would Charles, I
imagine.  I think there's USB 2 support in my future.

* Re: [9fans] More USB audio
@ 2006-06-19  4:32       ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2006-06-19  4:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 6/18/06, geoff@collyer.net <geoff@collyer.net> wrote:
> I'd be interested in seeing whatever you produced, as would Charles, I
> imagine.  I think there's USB 2 support in my future.

I produced little to nothing of use... In fact I kept having false
starts, then eventually a hard disk failure and before I even bothered
restarting again I had given over the same advice that was given to me
to someone who had a student who wanted to work on this at CMU.

I haven't checked to see if anything ever came of this though.

Dave

* Re: [9fans] More USB audio
@ 2006-06-19 19:49     ` Dave Eckhardt
From: Dave Eckhardt @ 2006-06-19 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

No work is currently in progress here at CMU (sorry).

Dave Eckhardt

* Re: [9fans] More USB audio
@ 2006-06-19 20:04       ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2006-06-19 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 6/19/06, Dave Eckhardt <davide+p9@cs.cmu.edu> wrote:
> No work is currently in progress here at CMU (sorry).
>
> Dave Eckhardt

Ok thanks for letting us know!

I had lost that email and couldn't sufficiently search it.  I thought
it might be you.  I remember it was from almost a year ago.

I'm not going to lie.  I'm probably one of the least experienced
people on this list to try to write any kind of hardware device
drivers, and, quite frankly, I didn't find reading the USB OHCI
specifications to be encouraging for a beginner.

Maybe I should try to write a parallel port driver first or something,
just to get the hang of the interfaces.

Dave

* Re: [9fans] More USB audio
@ 2006-06-19 20:06       ` Dave Eckhardt
From: Dave Eckhardt @ 2006-06-19 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Err, no Plan 9 USB OHCI work.

Dave Eckhardt

* Re: [9fans] More USB audio
@ 2006-06-28 19:24 ` Sape Mullender
From: Sape Mullender @ 2006-06-28 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: knapjack, 9fans; +Cc: jmk, pb

> http://www.turtlebeach.com/site/products/audioadvantage/

We got one ath the labs.  Plugged it into Plan 9. It works.  It
actually outputs a lot of oomph into my headset.  Nice
device.

44100 or 48000 Hz, 16-bit stereo.  Has mute & volume control.

	Sape

* Re: Re: [9fans] More USB audio
@ 2006-06-30 20:17   ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2006-06-30 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 6/28/06, Sape Mullender <sape@plan9.bell-labs.com> wrote:
> > http://www.turtlebeach.com/site/products/audioadvantage/
>
> We got one ath the labs.  Plugged it into Plan 9. It works.  It
> actually outputs a lot of oomph into my headset.  Nice
> device.
>
> 44100 or 48000 Hz, 16-bit stereo.  Has mute & volume control.
>
>         Sape

Awesome, now I wonder if it will work hosted through Parallels on a
Mac (it's supposed to allow for USB devices to be shared into the
managed OS...)

* Re: Re: [9fans] More USB audio
@ 2006-06-30 20:23     ` Sape Mullender
From: Sape Mullender @ 2006-06-30 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> On 6/28/06, Sape Mullender <sape@plan9.bell-labs.com> wrote:
>> > http://www.turtlebeach.com/site/products/audioadvantage/
>>
>> We got one ath the labs.  Plugged it into Plan 9. It works.  It
>> actually outputs a lot of oomph into my headset.  Nice
>> device.
>>
>> 44100 or 48000 Hz, 16-bit stereo.  Has mute & volume control.
>
> Awesome, now I wonder if it will work hosted through Parallels on a
> Mac (it's supposed to allow for USB devices to be shared into the
> managed OS...)

The Plan 9 USB driver can only use UHCI devices (i.e., Pentium and USB 1.0).

	Sape

* Re: [9fans] More USB audio
@ 2006-07-02 19:35   ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2006-07-02 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

In sources/contrib/miller/usb/audio I've put a modified usbaudio which
works with the Griffin iMic - another small(ish) usb audio adapter, which
can record as well as play back.

Before I submit this as as a patch, I'd be grateful to anyone who could
try it with other usb audio devices, to check whether I've broken anything.

Thanks.

-- Richard