* [9fans] stats
@ 2003-06-19 15:14 David Presotto
From: David Presotto @ 2003-06-19 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

For those who care, stats now does all its differences as ulongs so
there shouldn't be a wrap arond problem.

Also, MAXNUM was wrong for a while so there were some
pretty wonky numbers happening on the multiprocessors
since m->nproc was getting overwritten by odd numbers.
Fixed now.

I added the -I option that give you load/time idle/time in interrupt.

* [9fans] Hans Reiser comment
@ 2003-06-19 15:31 ` Jack Johnson
From: Jack Johnson @ 2003-06-19 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

"ProteusQ:

And are there any special tricks (above and beyond mastering your subject)
to getting hired in this field once a degree is in hand?

Hans:

I was never able to get hired in this field, so I am probably not the one
to ask about how to get hired.;-) Hmmm. Oh I know one! Don't tell your
potential employer that you are working on your own file system nights and
weekends, and you will retain all rights to it, and you won't stop work on
it once they hire you.;-)

You should probably read about Plan 9, and about namespaces generally."

http://interviews.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/06/18/1516239&mode=thread

-Jack

* Re: [9fans] Hans Reiser comment
@ 2003-06-19 16:38   ` Douglas A. Gwyn
From: Douglas A. Gwyn @ 2003-06-19 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Probably more directly relevant is http://www.namesys.com/v4/v4.html
The design seems highly compatible with the general ideas underlying
Plan 9.  Files as active objects, while not new, is interesting.  In
Plan 9 as I understand it, the file server instantiates the file
object (using this picture) and implements its methods, the same way
for all files it serves.