* Re: [9fans] Can't make CD without temporary file
@ 2002-06-14 17:30 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-06-14 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> The problem is that I don't want to have to create the temporary
> image file cdimage.

Sorry, you have to create the temporary file.
The man page came before the mk9660 rewrite.
Mk9660 is two passes now, and depends on having
a seekable file.  This means you can't just write a
CD on standard output, but it also simplified everything
about mk9660 enough to do, for example, Rock Ridge
support.

> The example in CDFS(4) states that you can create write to a CD
> without the intermediate file with:
>
> disk/mk9660 -9cj -n notice cdproto >cd/wd/foo
>
> but that doesn't work because mk9660 expects a file argument and
> doesn't send its output to stdout so > won't work.

Fixed the man page.  Whoops.

Russ

* [9fans] Can't make CD without temporary file
@ 2002-06-14 17:10 Blake McBride
From: Blake McBride @ 2002-06-14 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Greetings,

I am attempting to create a CD.  I am able to do it just fine
with the following commands:

cdfs -d /dev/sdC1 -m /usr/glenda/cd
disk/mk9660 -9cj -s /usr/glenda/MyApp /usr/glenda/cdimage
cp /usr/glenda/cdimage /usr/glenda/cd/wd/cdimage
rm /usr/glenda/cd/wd
unmount /usr/glenda/cd

The problem is that I don't want to have to create the temporary
image file cdimage.

The example in CDFS(4) states that you can create write to a CD
without the intermediate file with:

disk/mk9660 -9cj -n notice cdproto >cd/wd/foo

but that doesn't work because mk9660 expects a file argument and
doesn't send its output to stdout so > won't work.

I even tried:

disk/mk9660 -9cj -s /usr/glenda/MyApp /usr/glenda/cd/wd/cdimage

in an effort to write directly to the CD but I got:

disk/mk9660: cannot create '/usr/glenda/cd/wd/cdimage': bad mode (use
OWRITE)

But, of course, I am able to:

cp /usr/glenda/cdimage /usr/glenda/cd/wd/cdimage

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Blake McBride
blake@integra-online.com