* [9fans] Virtual PC problems
@ 2003-06-18 13:01 Phaedrus
From: Phaedrus @ 2003-06-18 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello,
This is first time I'm installing plan 9. I'm using flatpanel iMac
1Ghz with resolution 1440x900 with millions of color setting. I
downloaded the iso image and using it for installation.
during installation I'm not able to install VGA driver as it the
default 640x480x8 and xga does not work. So I had to install with
inst/textonly. Did anybody have similar problems.Did I do something
wrong with VPC monitor settings. I'm allocating 64MB ram with 4MB
VRAM.
Since I'm new to this OS i.e plan9 please help me out.

With Regards

* Re: [9fans] Virtual PC problems
@ 2003-06-19  8:41 ` Yi Li
From: Yi Li @ 2003-06-19  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Phaedrus <flatedecode@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<67d1330d.0306180454.2763d057@posting.google.com>...
> Hello,
> This is first time I'm installing plan 9. I'm using flatpanel iMac
> 1Ghz with resolution 1440x900 with millions of color setting. I
> downloaded the iso image and using it for installation.
> during installation I'm not able to install VGA driver as it the
> default 640x480x8 and xga does not work. So I had to install with
> inst/textonly. Did anybody have similar problems.Did I do something
> wrong with VPC monitor settings. I'm allocating 64MB ram with 4MB
> VRAM.
> Since I'm new to this OS i.e plan9 please help me out.
>
> With Regards

The boot floppy included in the iso doesn't recognize the video
card of VPC; you need to make another boot disk that does. Use
the tools included on the cd to make a boot disk and change vgadb
to:

ctlr
    0xC000E="VIDEO B"
    link=vga
    hwgc=s3hwgc linear=1
    ctlr=trio64 link=ibm8514

If your imac doesn't have a floppy drive:
(1) find a pc to make the floppy
(2) find a pc with VPC installed and convert your floppy
    to a VPC image
(3) boot from the floppy image on your imac.

Note the DEC/Intel 21041 network card emulated by Mac VPC 4/5/6
won't work. I'm working on a driver.

yi