* [9fans] LSI Logic 53C1030 SCSI
@ 2008-04-27 11:46 David du Colombier
From: David du Colombier @ 2008-04-27 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello,

I recently bought an IBM xSeries 235 server to run Plan 9.
Since SCSI is not supported on this computer, I used an IDE hard disk
to install Plan 9.
Everything, except the Broadcom BCM5703X network device, is running
fine. Since the undocumented Broadcom will probably never be
supported, I ordered an Intel 82541.

As I would like to use my two SCSI hard disks, I tried to modify
Nigel Roles's SCSI driver to support my LSI Logic 53C1030 SCSI
controller.
I only added the PCI ID of my controller in the driver located at
/sys/src/9/pc/sd53c8xx.c.
This was easily done by adding two lines:

#define SYM_1030_DID 0x0030
{ SYM_1030_DID, 0xff, "SYM53C1030", Burst128, 16, 64,
  Prefetch|LocalRAM|BigFifo|Wide|Ultra|Ultra2 },

I successfully compiled and installed the new kernel.

My SCSI controller seems to be well recognized during the boot,
as Plan 9 displays:
sd53c8xx: SYM53C1030 rev. 8.87 intr=9 command=8157
sd53c8xx: SYM53C1030 rev. 8.87 intr=9 command=8157

Then I boot on local and log in. Finally, Plan 9 is stuck after
displaying:
sd53c8xx: bios scntl3(22) stest2(88)

My controller does not seem to be supported by the current driver.

I have no driver programming skill, so I wonder if you have some
ideas to modify Nigel Roles's driver to support my SCSI controller.

I made a video [1] to show the failed starting of Plan 9,
using the modified SCSI driver.
I also furnish the result of "dmesg" [2] when booting on the
Slackware Linux 12.0 installation CD-ROM.
Finally, I furnish the result of "pci -v" [3] when running Plan 9
on the IDE hard disk of this computer.

[1] http://www.9grid.fr/plan9/boot.mp4
[2] http://www.9grid.fr/plan9/dmesg
[3] http://www.9grid.fr/plan9/pci-v