* [9fans] Throwing in the Towel
@ 2024-05-04 15:13 Steven Stallion
From: Steven Stallion @ 2024-05-04 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

All,

It has taken almost 15 years, but fossil has finally managed to chew
through a second set of SSDs and I just don't have the heart to feed
it a third. As of last night, I backed up my venti store, dutifully
recorded vacs, and deracked the equipment.

I first encountered Plan 9 while working for Coraid in 2010. I can't
express how grateful I feel for the opportunity to have worked with
Coraid, the remaining few folks at Bell Labs, and even squeezing in a
few patches before everything was shut down. In the intervening years
my D525's have hummed along happily, long after I moved on to other
pursuits.

I've never had much of a presence on 9fans, but I've always been one
to keep an eye on the list and I wish everyone success. If 9p.io ever
comes back online, I've stuffed everything I could into my contrib
directory.

Take care,
Steve

* Re: [9fans] Plan9 wept! - Throwing in the Towel
@ 2024-05-04 19:16 ` Alexandr Babic
From: Alexandr Babic @ 2024-05-04 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

plan9 is one of the silmarills and you just throw it into throat of ungoliant :-(

/n/fingolfinFS

[...]

* Re: [9fans] Throwing in the Towel
@ 2024-05-04 20:21 ` Shawn Rutledge
From: Shawn Rutledge @ 2024-05-04 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> On May 4, 2024, at 8:13 AM, Steven Stallion <sstallion@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> All,
>
> It has taken almost 15 years, but fossil has finally managed to chew
> through a second set of SSDs

What does that mean?  Does fossil do too many writes, or did they fail for some other reason?  Did you have a heavy write load in the first place?  Are you sure the SSDs would have lasted longer than 15 years with a different fs?  It seems to me that SSDs were less common and lower-quality 15 years ago; there was a big difference between brands back then.

Are there other filesystems that work with venti?  It seems to me that there should be, eventually.

* Re: [9fans] Throwing in the Towel
@ 2024-05-04 20:37   ` wb.kloke
From: wb.kloke @ 2024-05-04 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Imho, we would like to get some more info, what happened.

1) Was it the fossil write buffer?
2) Was it the venti index ?

We can safely exclude the venti arenas, or ?
As you mentioned a 2nd set of SSDs, how long did the last one hold?
Why is the whole set affected? Raid-x?

* Re: [9fans] Throwing in the Towel
@ 2024-05-26 19:39     ` wb.kloke
From: wb.kloke @ 2024-05-26 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I would like to refresh my questions from may 4th.

Can it be the case that the venti index file exhibits a desastrous write pattern for SSDs?

I presume that each new block written to venti  causes a random block to be rewritten in the index file, until the bucket is full (after 215 writes). Given, that the erasure blocks in the SSD may be of size 1MB or even 128MB, each such write may be a big strain on the device.

Any opinions?

* Re: [9fans] Throwing in the Towel
@ 2024-05-26 21:20       ` Riddler
From: Riddler @ 2024-05-26 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Back of the napkin:

venti(8) has an index entry as 40 bytes. That would fill a 1MB erasure
block in 25k writes. A SLC should handle at least twice that. A MLC is
probably less than half that from what I understand. But we haven't
discussed wear levelling yet. With the index recommended to be 5% of the
data size there should be plenty of data blocks with write cycles left for
the SSD to wear level with. I wouldn't worry about it.

The 128MB case however is pretty bad. It'll take 3,200k writes. Given the
data blocks, following the 4k assumption from the manual, will fill a 128MB
block in 32k writes that could kill a  cheap low write capacity SSD just
with the data blocks.

My cursory conclusion; back of the napkin, index behaviour is not ideal but
shouldn't cause any issues for regular wear levelling SSD (which is all of
them now right?) with a few MB erasure blocks. But going beyond that size
and yeah... Ouch.

But that's just small index updates and large erasure block SSDs for you.
Transactional databases doing lots of small updates are also known for
being able to kill SSDs. As I understand it common practice is to over
provision a transactional database SSD to make up for it.

@ 2024-05-27  1:06       ` Dave Eckhardt
From: Dave Eckhardt @ 2024-05-27  1:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Can it be the case that the venti index file exhibits a desastrous
> write pattern for SSDs?

Maybe... but it would need to be worse than the load provided by
other file systems, including FAT and ext2/3/4.  Some of those
file systems rewrite some blocks like mad (e.g., superblock, journal
blocks).

Just because a flash translation layer might need to erase an entire
megabyte, or multiple megabytes, does not mean that it needs to put
the new value of a logical block in the same area of the flash that
the old value of that logical block used to be in (they do the opposite).

It would be interesting to get a dump of the SMART data for the drive(s)
that went bad, and also drive(s) that didn't go bad.

Dave Eckhardt

* Re: [9fans] Throwing in the Towel
@ 2024-05-28 19:33         ` wb.kloke
From: wb.kloke @ 2024-05-28 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

For the napkin calculation: On disk, the IEntry is 38Bytes. Alas, writes occur always in (the ssd internal) blocksize. So, essentially (assuming 4096 byte blocksize, which is quite optimistic), we have a write efficiency of less than 1 percent.

A good firmware in the ssd could avoid needing a new block for the write, if all bits are changed in teh same direction by the new data. This is defeated by the binary search in the index buckets. The entries must be sorted, and the number of used entries is tob updated. So, for each new entry the whole (internal) block has to be remapped. Therefore an erasure block must be erased after about  1m/4k index writes.

It seems, venti in its current form is a ssd killer, if they are used for the isects.

* Re: [9fans] Throwing in the Towel
@ 2024-05-28 21:49           ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2024-05-28 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i'm curious what straightforward storage structure wouldn't be. trying to
second-guess ssd firmware seems a tricky design criterion.

@ 2024-05-29  2:22           ` Dave Eckhardt
From: Dave Eckhardt @ 2024-05-29  2:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> For the napkin calculation: On disk, the IEntry is 38Bytes.  Alas,
> writes occur always in (the ssd internal) blocksize.  So, essentially
> (assuming 4096 byte blocksize, which is quite optimistic), we have
> a write efficiency of less than 1 percent.

While I see how such a model can predict disaster, I don't think that
model matches how FTLs work, because it can't.

Many file systems (FAT, ext2/3/4) write the same logical block over
and over and over and over and over.  I think the default interval
for ext4 to synch the superblock and the journal is five seconds,
which if true is more than 15,000 times every *day* for a busy
file system (and I think lots of Linux systems are busy in that
sense).

> A good firmware in the ssd could avoid needing a new block for the
> write, if all bits are changed in teh same direction by the new
> data.

Again, I believe this model predicts that no regular Linux file
system can be used on any SSD, thus I believe this model is not
accurate.

To quote Wikipedia:

  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_memory_controller

> The mapping units of an FTL can differ so that LBAs are mapped
> block-, page- or even sub-page-based.  Depending on the usage
> pattern, a finer mapping granularity can significantly reduce
> the flash wear out and maximize the endurance of a flash based
> storage media.

Also, I feel as if this point is several assumption layers deep.
I think one user reported an unknown number of failures in two
sets of SSDs of unknown brand and model.  I don't think we know
that it was venti SSDs that went bad as opposed to fossil SSDs,
let alone knowing it was index SSDs for venti.

> It seems, venti in its current form is a ssd killer, if they
> are used for the isects.

I don't think this claim is yet supported well.

Dave Eckhardt

* Re: [9fans] Throwing in the Towel
@ 2024-05-29  3:32             ` ori
From: ori @ 2024-05-29  3:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Finally,. SSDs just die over time. Especially if they are
not powered on and refreshing. JEDEC specs say that they
should retain data for 1 year unplugged when stored at 30
degrees celsius, assuming the internet isn't lying to me.

Keep backups.

@ 2024-05-29  6:40               ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2024-05-29  6:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i  can only speak from experience, but i have had fossil and venti running on a single ssd (on a radpberry pi) for 5 years now - no rotating discs left at home.

i have mtime changes and ephemeral snapshots turned off to reduce the update rate. i chose a sandisk card, and take backups just in case…

so far so good.

-Steve

@ 2024-05-29  8:17               ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2024-05-29  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Finally,. SSDs just die over time.

i can confirm.

> Keep backups.

i just hope i will be able to restore them, too. i'm too lazy to check
every year if stuff is still readable, and i fear it will wear out the
heads anyways ;)

most recent interesting read:
https://www.lto.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/05/LTOUltrium_2023_MediaShipmentReport.pdf

* Re: [9fans] Throwing in the Towel