From: erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net>
To: 9fans@9fans.net
Subject: Re: [9fans] Multicast
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2012 14:49:46 -0500	[thread overview]

On Mon Dec 24 14:12:52 EST 2012, adriano.verardo@mail.com wrote:
> Hi, all I need to define a unicast group to implement an application
> on a set of cooperative CPUs.  The ip(3) man page is (for me) not
> clear enough and searching for "multicast" etc in /sys/src/*/*/...
> doesn't give any useful result.  The same looking in sources/contrib
>
> Where can I find an example on how to exchange multicast packets among
> CPUs wired to the same ethernet switch ?

this isn't something i've ever done, but having fiddled quite a bit in the
network stack, and with drivers, so...

in any case, you will need to add muticast addresses to the hw interfaces.
assuming ethernet, ether(3) has the correct information.  if you want to
associate that mc address with a name, you'll need to edit your ndb files
to have sys=name ether=mcaddress.

if the protocol you're using is ip, you'll need to also need to bind in an
ip mc address.  using ipconfig(8) is generally easiest.  i don't see any reason
why you can't add it in like a non-mc address.  you may also wish
to add a dom= line to your ndb file.

- erik