* [9fans] partial cp
@ 2010-01-25  1:45 Akshat Kumar
From: Akshat Kumar @ 2010-01-25  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I was copying a 1.75G file via drawterm,
when the computer went to sleep around
1.16G of the way through.

The copy was being done by fcp. I presume
fcp, like cp, copies from start to finish, so
what are some suggested ways to copy just
the rest of the file, without starting all over?
I'd like to be able to use fcp again, in some
way, as it's speedy.

Thanks,
ak

* Re: [9fans] partial cp
@ 2010-01-25 17:15 ` maht
From: maht @ 2010-01-25 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 25/01/2010 01:45, Akshat Kumar wrote:
> what are some suggested ways to copy just
> the rest of the file, without starting all over?

dd

* Re: [9fans] partial cp
@ 2010-01-26 19:55   ` roger peppe
From: roger peppe @ 2010-01-26 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

modify the source of fc to specify an offset is
probably your easiest solution if you want to
carry on copying at the same speed.

2010/1/25 maht <maht-9fans@maht0x0r.net>:
> On 25/01/2010 01:45, Akshat Kumar wrote:
>>
>> what are some suggested ways to copy just
>> the rest of the file, without starting all over?
>>

> dd

* Re: [9fans] partial cp
@ 2010-01-26 20:03     ` maht
From: maht @ 2010-01-26 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> modify the source of fc to specify an offset is
> probably your easiest solution if you want to
> carry on copying at the same speed.

If you're going to start hacking fcp then just add a switch that says
'resume' and it works out the offset for you

* Re: [9fans] partial cp
@ 2010-01-27  1:51       ` Federico G. Benavento
From: Federico G. Benavento @ 2010-01-27  1:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

hget does something similar, don't know, I'll usually
just restart copying the file.

--
Federico G. Benavento

* Re: [9fans] partial cp
@ 2010-01-27  7:27         ` Akshat Kumar
From: Akshat Kumar @ 2010-01-27  7:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 5:51 PM, Federico G. Benavento
<benavento@gmail.com> wrote:
> hget does something similar, don't know, I'll usually
> just restart copying the file.

that's a little much in this case (big file, going over the local network)

> On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 6:03 PM, maht <maht-9fans@maht0x0r.net> wrote:
>> If you're going to start hacking fcp then just add a switch that says
>> 'resume' and it works out the offset for you

I'd be happy to add that. Hopefully others will find it useful also.

Thanks,
ak