On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 11:44 PM, Justin Jackson wrote: > Hi everyone, > > I've been lurking for the past few months and I've really enjoyed > reading the messages from this list. I'm looking for some ideas or > advice---here's the story: I'm pursuing a Master's degree in computer > science at a small school with limited options for classes. I'm > enrolled in a graduate-level course in distributed systems, but the > material isn't on my level. The professor understands my predicament > and might allow me to do an independent study on the subject, but I > would need something specific to work on. I would love to do something > with Plan 9...I'm just not sure what. Compare and contrast it with > other systems? Find a novel use for 9P? Is there anyone at your university doing a big (computationally) project? Like a large artificial neural network, or something that could be easily decomposed or pipelined? If so, you might be able to get some interest in finding a way to make (cheap) distributed computing available to those people right at home who need it. Maybe you could revive old hardware and save the department money. I know that doesn't sound groundbreaking at all, but it could go over well for you and introduce you to some interesting problems. > > I'm not very good at coming up with creative topics, so any thoughts > or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. > > -Justin > > P.S. In what seems to be a grave injustice, the textbook only mentions > Plan 9 on one page, and only points out the per-process namespaces and > the ability to merge directories with bind. Absolutely nothing on 9P. > Argh! > >