From: Philip Silva <p.silva@gmx.net>
To: 9fans@9fans.net
Subject: Re: [9fans] Can't install Plan9 on VMWare
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 08:30:51 +0000	[thread overview]

> you either remove the cdrom from the virtual machine or make it to
> emulate scsi.
> if you're iso is more than 2 days old, you'll have to do
> % echo hwaccel off > /dev/vgactl
> to get vga working well.
I see, well I removed the cdrom. But when installing plan9 I entered ega (or
was it cga?!) in order to not start rio. Maybe I should just run through the
installation process again - which is extremely slow here.
Anyways, text mode now works fine, but when I'm changing /dev/vgactl
with "echo type vesa > /dev/vgactl" and "echo hwaccel off > /dev/vgactl"
after a reboot the file turns out to be the old one looking like this:
type cga
bland time 30 idle 0 state on
hwaccel on
hwblank off
panning off
addr p 0x0 v 0x0 size 0x0

BTW: When I enter "echo type vga > /dev/vgactl" i get
echo: write error: bad VGA control message "type vga". And it seems that
I cannot edit the file with ed.

Philip Silva