From: ron minnich <rminnich@gmail.com>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] Almost immediate ISO Boot Failure
Date: Tue,  4 May 2010 14:57:51 -0700	[thread overview]

On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 2:23 AM, hiro <23hiro@googlemail.com> wrote:
> The more interesting question is: who doesn't agree, and why?
>
> On 5/4/10, Pavel Klinkovsky <pavel.klinkovsky@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> maybe it is time to try to pack-port some of Erik's stuff to the canonical
>>> source.
>> I fully agree.
>>
>> Pavel

The argument here is that we need to sync 9atom back to sources, and
that may well be true.

But there's another path:
use mercurial to create a clone of http://bitbucket.org/rminnich/sysfromiso
you can call it 9atom.

You can put your changes there.

Then you can use the mercurial tools to continually refresh your 9atom
tree from sysfromiso.

In that way, you can provide a 9atom tree that is perfectly in sync
with sources, and it is easy for others to see what you have done.
And, most importantly, the maintainers of the main tree can easily see
what they need to see, and figure out what ought to come back to the
mainline, and pull back things that make sense to pull back.

There is real precedent nowadays for people to maintain forks of a
kernel tree, where they can experiment, and do so in a way that makes
merges back to the mainline easy.

ron