From: comeau@panix.com (Greg Comeau)
To: 9fans@9fans.net
Subject: Re: [9fans] Additional compilers under 9vx.OSX
Date: Wed,  4 May 2011 11:39:56 +0000	[thread overview]

In article <ionvtt$p6n$1@panix1.panix.com>,
Greg Comeau <comeau@comeaucomputing.com> wrote:
>In article <inuqri$eqi$1@panix1.panix.com>,
>Greg Comeau <comeau@comeaucomputing.com> wrote:
>>In article <insdeo$km5$1@panix1.panix.com>,
>>Greg Comeau <comeau@comeaucomputing.com> wrote:
>>>As mentioned in a post yesterday, we seem to have succeeded in getting
>>>5c et al built.  However, in resuming playing around at least one case
>>>/bin/ape/sh is producing:
>>>./command-name[3]: other-command-name: cannot execute - Access Denied
>>>
>>>since doing the mk's.  Obviously something in those builds stomped
>>>on something already existing.  Any ideas what?
>>
>>I found something similar online and did what they suggested:
>>cd /sys/src/ape and mk nuke and mk install, but same result as above,
>>even after rebooting.  ??
>
>FYI & FWIW, I was able to locate binaries in the install file that
>the original /386/bin/ape directory came from and so I reexpanded
>it to a new directory and overrode the rebuilt one with a bind,
>and all now appears well.  So instead of re-installing 9vx and/or
>trying to build only the 5? commands (which I think would have worked
>since it shouldn't have effected sh), I'm going to let good enough
>be for now.  Will test some more, but I can only assume some sort of
>versionitis came into play here.

Think this is an all time record for talking to myself :) ....

Well, famous last words.  Turns out that beyond toy programs
this just did not work:  Compiler (8c) gave errors, 9vx crashes more
than normal, and programs built did the wrong thing.  So with 9vx,
something is definitely out of sync when doing the build the original
way.  So what I had to do is reinstall 9vx from scratch, install a
9vx ape tarball I found I had around and applied to the very original
install (that got messed up) which contained 386 ape executables, as
well as pulled in some .a files, which I believe gives me back the
original 9vx system.  Don't understand why the rebuild did not
yield something without problems, but something in the piecemealing
might be an issue.

Adding 5l/5c/5i/5a as well as some arm lib's from the build though seems
ok so far, but nothing serious run yet, so I'll probably be revisiting
this part.
--
Greg Comeau / 4.3.10.1 with C++0xisms now in beta!
Comeau C/C++ ONLINE ==>     http://www.comeaucomputing.com/tryitout