* [9fans] yet another S3 Virge / VGA problem
@ 2001-02-26  9:58 Dennis Davis
From: Dennis Davis @ 2001-02-26  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

I've been trying to install Plan 9 for a while.
 I can boot from the floppy and unpack the kernel,
but it seems to be having problems locating my
graphics card in the VGADB file.

My card is an S3 Virge DX (375), so I assume
that it should be supported. I note that
people have had similar problems, but with
slightly differen S3 Virge cards

If I don't edit VGADB, it panics, and I am
left at a % prompt.

However, if I edit the file with the following
commands (which are the video bios settings)

ctlr
	0xC0045="S3 86C375/86C385 Video BIOS."
	link=vga
	hwgc=s3hwgc
	ctlr=virge linear=1

or with similar lines, the installation just
seems to come to an end with the following messages:

i8042 - fe returned to the ea command
i8042 - fe returned to the f4 command

At this point I can type text to the screen,
but there is no command prompt, and I have to reboot.

Any ideas, or should I find a new Video Card ?

Regards
Neil.

--
Sent by  TELFORD  from MARKETMANOR part  from F9 subdomain of CO  piece from UK

* Re: [9fans] yet another S3 Virge / VGA problem
@ 2001-02-28  8:31 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2001-02-28  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Try removing the "linear=1" part.