* [9fans] OED2 index?
@ 2013-01-15  1:14 phineas.pett
From: phineas.pett @ 2013-01-15  1:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Does anyone have an index file for OED2?  (I have the CD, and was able
to strip out the data using tristan's utilities, but I'm not having much
luck generating the index file for use with dict.)  Much thanks!

phineas

* Re: [9fans] OED2 index?
@ 2013-01-15 14:56 ` Tristan
From: Tristan @ 2013-01-15 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Does anyone have an index file for OED2?

Which version do you have? Mine is from 1992.05.28 01:32. So I could
supply that one.

> (I have the CD, and was able to strip out the data using tristan's
> utilities, but I'm not having much luck generating the index file for
> use with dict.)

See /sys/src/cmd/dict/dict.c for the sort arguments, and my memory is
that mkindex puts the fields in reverse order too.

Tristan

--
All original matter is hereby placed immediately under the public domain.

* Re: [9fans] OED2 index?
@ 2013-01-15 15:24   ` phineas.pett
From: phineas.pett @ 2013-01-15 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

At Tue, 15 Jan 2013 09:56:51 -0500,
Tristan  wrote:

> > Does anyone have an index file for OED2?
>
> Which version do you have? Mine is from 1992.05.28 01:32.

Yes, that's the very one :-)  Your index should work.

> So I could supply that one.

I would very much appreciate it.  How large is the file?  Emailable?

> > (I have the CD, and was able to strip out the data using tristan's
> > utilities, but I'm not having much luck generating the index file for
> > use with dict.)
>
> See /sys/src/cmd/dict/dict.c for the sort arguments, and my memory is
> that mkindex puts the fields in reverse order too.

I noted those, thanks.  My trouble is building mkindex.c itself, I
gather this is supposed to be run against the oed2.dat file to generate
the index, but it is not clear to me what changes need to be made to
mkindex.c itself.

--
phineas