* [9fans] ip/ipconfig trouble
@ 2006-03-25 17:51 csant
From: csant @ 2006-03-25 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello,

I am a very new user to plan 9, daring my first steps booting from CD.
I am trying to set up my network, and that is where I start having trouble:

	term% ip/ipconfig
	ip/ipconfig: no success with DHCP

This very same machine does get its IP address when running Linux, so I'd
imagine there are no problems with my DHCP server? Google didn't return
valuable information, so I fall back to this mailing list. Any help is
greatly appreciated.

/c

--
[Quote]
I have measured out my life with coffee spoons;

* Re: [9fans] ip/ipconfig trouble
@ 2006-03-25 18:27 ` Gabriel Diaz
From: Gabriel Diaz @ 2006-03-25 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: csant, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello

Can you see your network card recogniced while booting?

you should see a line something like

#l0 : driver_id

slds.

gabi

@ 2006-03-25 18:31   ` csant
From: csant @ 2006-03-25 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

#10: rtl8139: 10Mbps port 0xE000 irq 5: 00e7de1148d

Yes, the card is recognized.
/c

--

@ 2006-03-25 18:37     ` Gabriel Diaz
From: Gabriel Diaz @ 2006-03-25 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: csant, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

hello

if your cable link is ok, try exploring /net, you can see
what ip configuration do you have with cat /net/ipselftab

you can use snoopy sniffer ( see lookman snoopy for the man page section )
to see what is receiving your card ( just snoopy enter should work)

@ 2006-03-25 18:38   ` csant
From: csant @ 2006-03-25 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 20:20:39 +0100, <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:

> how many interface cards do you have on this computer and
> how many are connected?  /net may be bound to a different
> ethernet interface than your dhcp server is on.

I do have 2 cards, one is connected to the LAN (nothing in the other one).
How can I make sure that the right one is bound?

> are you running any authentication on the dhcp server?

No, I am not.

--

@ 2006-03-25 18:43     ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2006-03-25 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: csant, 9fans

> I do have 2 cards, one is connected to the LAN (nothing in the other one).
> How can I make sure that the right one is bound?

you can put a line in plan9.ini like

	ether0=type=rtl8139 ea=00e7de1148d

except that you'll want to change the ether address
to the one for the other card (since the current #l0
clearly is the wrong one).

Russ

* Re: [9fans] ip/ipconfig trouble
@ 2006-03-25 18:48       ` csant
From: csant @ 2006-03-25 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 19:43:01 +0100, Russ Cox <rsc@swtch.com> wrote:

>> I do have 2 cards, one is connected to the LAN (nothing in the other
>> one).
>> How can I make sure that the right one is bound?
>
> you can put a line in plan9.ini like
>
> 	ether0=type=rtl8139 ea=00e7de1148d
>
> except that you'll want to change the ether address
> to the one for the other card (since the current #l0
> clearly is the wrong one).

Thanks, I'll try that when I get a new CD-R (just burned the last one in
stock...) - unless there is a way to change that on the fly?
/c

--

@ 2006-03-25 18:50         ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2006-03-25 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: csant, 9fans

> Thanks, I'll try that when I get a new CD-R (just burned the last one in
> stock...) - unless there is a way to change that on the fly?
> /c

you could plug the ethernet cable into the other card.

* Re: [9fans] ip/ipconfig trouble
@ 2006-03-25 18:56           ` csant
From: csant @ 2006-03-25 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 19:50:02 +0100, Russ Cox <rsc@swtch.com> wrote:

>> Thanks, I'll try that when I get a new CD-R (just burned the last one in
>> stock...) - unless there is a way to change that on the fly?
>> /c
>
> you could plug the ethernet cable into the other card.

d'oh *bangs head*
Yep, and it works.

Tanks so far.
/c :)

--

@ 2006-03-25 19:20 ` quanstro
From: quanstro @ 2006-03-25 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: csant, 9fans

how many interface cards do you have on this computer and
how many are connected?  /net may be bound to a different
ethernet interface than your dhcp server is on.

are you running any authentication on the dhcp server?

- erik