From: "Eris Discordia" <eris.discordia@gmail.com>
To: "Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs" <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: Re: [9fans] managing windows in rio
Date: Fri,  8 Feb 2008 09:47:28 +0000	[thread overview]

On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 17:22:46 -0000, <lejatorn@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> to cut it short: how do you guys do it?
>
> Since I am not to the point where I run almost everything in the same
> acme window, I need quite a few windows when I'm on p9 or in rio from
> p9p. And I am having trouble finding and raising to focus the one I need
> when there are more than, say, five of them on a res of 1280x800.
>
> Sqweek pointed me to winwatch which seems rather neat, but there is no
> such thing in p9p as far as I know, and no keyboard shortcut to cycle
> through the various windows (except in cinap's hacked rio ;) ).
> So I assume there must be a way to work efficiently through the
> windows and I'm curious to know what are everyone habits and tricks for
> that.
>
> Thanks,
> Mathieu.

I have had similar questions about ways to streamline my Plan 9 experience
since like... a week ago (that is when I began using it).

Plan 9 interfaces I have seen (rio itself, the window to rc, acme) are too
mousy, and I used to (and still do) curse Windows (and adore *BSD) for
just that reason. The line editor, ed, on the other hand makes good use of
the keyboard, but I really preferred the vi (vim, actually) way; I know,
vi was originally built around ed.

Here are (some of) my questions:

Is there some way (other than messing with the code)...

1. to change the focus except by mouse?
2. to change acme's chording behavior?
3. to change acme's focus model from point-to-type to click-to-type?
4. to recall commands typed in an rc session without resorting to the
middle mouse button (snarf+paste)?
5. to make rc auto-scroll for programs that output many pages of text, e.
g. a du on a deep directory tree, and to not block them after a single
page?
6. to make rc auto-complete with the [tab] key, instead of the [ins] key?
7. to make rc auto-complete commands and not only file/directory names?
8. to make the [del] key delete the character at the caret as it does in
many other environments?
9. to search a manual page while reading it, and not by piping it through
grep?

Are there...

1. any (configurable or otherwise) keyboard shortcuts in acme/rio?
2. alternatives to mouse navigation and, particularly, text selection in
acme?
3. ways to quit acid without deleting its window or hitting [ctrl]+[d]
twice, which ends up deleting the window and all the scrollback buffer
with it (I could not find a quit() function in the manual page)?

Notes on the Plan 9 way of interfacing (the user side of it, of course)
are also welcome. Perhaps there are better/faster ways to do things that I
am not aware of.

Thanks for your taking the time to read through.