From: csant <csant@csant.info>
To: 9fans <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: Re: [9fans] fossil+venti installation troubles
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 20:17:10 +0200	[thread overview]

>>> are you specifying your venti server as net!localhost!venti?
>> Hmm, I just followed the installation, step by step - and it didn't
>> mention anything about needing to specify that. Where would I find it?
>>
>>> if so, just droping the -a flag or the ventiaddr in the configuration
>>> file should work.
>> Silly question: which configuration file? :)
>
> Trying to find some way to solve this. A few things seem to be missing
> in the wiki? I have tried the following, but still have doubts:
> * I created a venti.conf file in my home directory (there was no other
> venti.conf anywhere)
> * I set the environment variable
> 	% venti=*my_ip_address*
> * I started venti with venti/venti from my home directory
> --> I still keep getting the
> 	archiveBlock 0xae6f: not connected to Venti server
> error messages.
>
> I tried the following (from the setting up venti section on the wiki):
> 	% vac -f /tmp/x.vac /adm
> I get a few permission denied messages; then I
> 	% vacfs /tmp/x.vac
> 	% ls -l /n/vac
> as per instruction, and I get a listing
> 	d-rwxrwxr-x M 30 adm sys 0 Jul 29 12:25 /n/vac/adm
>
> Does this mean venti is working?
> However, I still get all the
> 	archiveBlock 0xae6f: not connected to Venti server
> errors. I don't know how to procede, or what I am doing wrong.

One more attempt: I'd be glad to know if I am heading into the right
direction:
* I added
	venti=/dev/sdC1/arenas
to my plan9.ini, and now it started up without error messages. From
/dev/kmesg I read, after entering my user name:
	time...
	venti...err 2: arenas creation time after last write time
	fossil(#S/sdC1/fossil)...version...time...

	init: starting /bin/rc
	ndb/dns: can't read my ip address
and then I could start my normal session. There is a huge disc activity
now: is it syncing the arenas with the fossil? Am I getting something
right? :)

/c