* [9fans] group permission
@ 2006-07-30 12:47 arisawa
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: arisawa @ 2006-07-30 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

A question on group permission.

I have long been feeling an inconvenience about a group permission.
Suppose a user alice has a private file "foo" that she want to be
read by bob.
She cannot
	chgrp bob foo
because she is not a member of bob.
Thus she must ask her host owner to create a group so that both alice
and bob be members of the group.
Is this inconvenient?
If host owner is in travel, she must wait until host owner comes back!

Is there any problem if alice can
	chgrp bob foo
even if she is not a member of bob?

Kenji Arisawa

* Re: [9fans] group permission
@ 2006-07-31 20:37 Sascha Retzki
From: Sascha Retzki @ 2006-07-31 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Got a nice collection...

> For the rest of the world, collaboration facilities must be managed as
> offices are managed. The ACL is analogous to the list of individuals who
> have keys to a particular facility. In this situation the teacher needs
> to own and control the drop slot, a "device" within the office to which
> he/she controls the ACL and into which users can place files that can
> only be read by the owner/manager of the room. Relying upon users to
> create and manage groups for this kind of thing is not realistic.

I think the 'group owner' is the one you are looking for. Besides chgrp allowed  for regular users, I still think the group-owner-thing rocks and it should be there. (I actually just read about 'group owners' once, loved the idea, and expected the tools to exist.. they don't? :((    )

> There is another solution.
>
> Bob can create a directory, say /bob/submit,
> and make it group bob and mode 777.
> Then alice and carol can each run
>     mkdir /bob/submit/$user
>     chmod 770 /bob/submit/$user
> and put their files in that new directory,
> which is owned by them but has group bob.

I don't think that is a solution - but a nice workarround ;)

(Not to think about explaining two pupils, office clerks, $whatever for the millionth time how that actually works)

> Nothing terrible might happen but the current design is a
> well-considered choice.  I'd like to be won over by a technical
> argument before sanctioning a change.

I think creating a real interface instead of making the users use 'tricks' is simply the right thing. At least to a certain degree.

Yes I agree, that 'degree' may be something different to you ;)

If that does not satisfy you:
	Maybe that sounds stupid, but what is a 'technical' argument then?

>  Maybe it's a holdover from Unix worth
> getting rid of.  It's almost certainly a one-line change
> to fossil.

great. :)

> The right solution is probably a way to talk to a file
> server to create a new group (owned by the
> user who created it) and also to edit existing groups,
> subject to the documented permissions.

Sorry, one last thing: There must be an intermediet step that I miss, why create new groups (is that a DoS? Create new groups in a for-loop, named pretty much the same, to make maintaince-time extra expensive?)?

Mfg, Sascha