* [9fans] THX hell
@ 2007-05-01 18:42 ron minnich
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: ron minnich @ 2007-05-01 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

OK, here's a quandary.

THX is the tiny horrible xen, a little USB stick that I've got a
standalone system, AND a terminal you can boot from (e.g.) 9grid.net.
It has ballooned (firefox) to require a 2GB USB stick, but hey,
they're $15 at Fry's, who cares. You can boot it, it boots fine and
works fine on my T41.

It's nice, we don't even load X11, since we have Aki's FB drawterm.
Just load fbdev, good to go.

The goal here is to make Linux an insignificant part of the machine.
Boot Linux as dom0, but run Linux in (e.g.) 32MB, and give most of the
machine to Plan 9. Linux is a driver. Your immediate interface to Plan
9 is bash. There are no /etc/rc* scripts.

on my T60, there is no fbdev support. And you can't use vesafb. You
can't use vesafb in Linux, as the 16 bit part of linux never runs
under Xen. I would need to add vesafb support to Xen. This makes my
brain hurt.

I could add X11 to THX, and we could use drawterm-x11. This is not
really what we wanted to do, but ...

I was trying to have this ready to demo at BAP9UG, May 10, but this is
a snag! There is no easy FB support for T60, and I think this problem
will just become worse. Not being able to load vesafb is a problem.

So, choices:
1. Stick with Xen, add vesafb to Xen, done.
2. Stick with Xen, add X server to THX distro, run drawterm-x11, done.
3. Move to KVM, so we can have vesafb, use drawterm-fb, done.

any ideas here? What makes sense?

ron

* Re: [9fans] THX hell
@ 2007-05-01 18:46 ` Richard Miller
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Richard Miller @ 2007-05-01 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> any ideas here? What makes sense?

4. Use the T41 instead.

* Re: [9fans] THX hell
@ 2007-05-01 18:52   ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2007-05-01 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 5/1/07, Richard Miller <9fans@hamnavoe.com> wrote:
> > any ideas here? What makes sense?
>
> 4. Use the T41 instead.

yeah, but the goal here is to provide something others can use. So, I
reject (4) :-)

ron

* Re: [9fans] THX hell
@ 2007-05-01 20:59 ` geoff
From: geoff @ 2007-05-01 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

In (3), are you suggesting plan 9 on kvm directly, or plan 9 on xen on kvm?

* Re: [9fans] THX hell
@ 2007-05-01 21:40 ` Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2007-05-01 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> 1. Stick with Xen, add vesafb to Xen, done.
> 2. Stick with Xen, add X server to THX distro, run drawterm-x11, done.
> 3. Move to KVM, so we can have vesafb, use drawterm-fb, done.
>
> any ideas here? What makes sense?

Doesn't KVM requires hardware virtualization?  Also Xen is
supposedly faster on most benchmarks.  Choice 2, while not
ideal, makes the most sense to me.

* Re: [9fans] THX hell
@ 2007-05-01 21:45   ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2007-05-01 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 5/1/07, Bakul Shah <bakul+plan9@bitblocks.com> wrote:
> > 1. Stick with Xen, add vesafb to Xen, done.
> > 2. Stick with Xen, add X server to THX distro, run drawterm-x11, done.
> > 3. Move to KVM, so we can have vesafb, use drawterm-fb, done.
> >
> > any ideas here? What makes sense?
>
> Doesn't KVM requires hardware virtualization?  Also Xen is
> supposedly faster on most benchmarks.  Choice 2, while not
> ideal, makes the most sense to me.

That's what I decided too. yes, xen is 6x faster than kvm right now.
At the same time, I'm getting lots of input from folks in the business
that they expect kvm to win in the long run. But, for now, Xen is it.

I'm trying and failing to get X started in THX. X starts, but never
gets the keyboard. I think it's because the tty control is never
really started up. You can't do ctl-alt-f1, for example. Also, if I do
the magic sysrq sequence it works fine.

I hate to ask an X11 question here, but what would cause X not to be
able to grab keyboard?

ron

* Re: [9fans] THX hell
@ 2007-05-01 22:14   ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2007-05-01 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Ok,

Talking out of my hat completely but can you extract enough
of X11 to initialise the server and exit? maybe a main.c that
wraps around the initialisation code of an apropriate X11 VGA driver.

If you can do this then your fb drawterm could just map the
relevant bit of memory and draw in it, much like the plan9
vga driver.

If you got clever enough (wasn't somone working on pass-through
drivers for xen?) you could run a real plan9 terminal in another
xen VM and it could map the physical framebuffer offered
by Linux in dom0.

See? I told you I didn't know what I was talking about.

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] THX hell
@ 2007-05-02  0:24     ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2007-05-02  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

well, I am close. X is now starting up -- you can NOT start X without
being able to run a keyboard compiler when it starts -- and xterm is
running, and doing this:
1201  write(2, "Failed to open input method\n", 28) = 28

which boils down to it can't find this:
1201  open("/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale/lib/common/xlibi18n.so.2",
O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)

which does not exist on my machine anyway. xterm does come up, and as
I type into it, the window size -- or the X display? -- changes quite
a bit -- it is changing resolution I suppose -- but no keyboard input
makes it to the app.

I had hoped 9term would work but it can't open /dev/pts/0, even
thought devpts is mounted. Some trick I am missing. It's weird running
linux without any rc scripts having been run. I have yet to use the
word fun, however.

it's interesting to run this stuff by hand, and just see what a tangle
web we have weave'd over 15 years. It's been a while since I watched x
apps this closely. Xterm opens about 50 libs, while failing to open
about 300.

ron

* Re: [9fans] THX hell
@ 2007-05-02  0:29       ` Eric Van Hensbergen
From: Eric Van Hensbergen @ 2007-05-02  0:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 5/1/07, ron minnich <rminnich@gmail.com> wrote:

> it's interesting to run this stuff by hand, and just see what a tangle
> web we have weave'd over 15 years. It's been a while since I watched x
> apps this closely. Xterm opens about 50 libs, while failing to open
> about 300.

This would actually make a pretty great paper - detailing just how
much crap has built up and become interdependent over time.

              -eric

* Re: [9fans] THX hell
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2007-05-02  9:14 ` csant
From: csant @ 2007-05-02  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> It has ballooned (firefox) to require a 2GB USB stick
Why Firefox? There are smaller Linux browsers.
/c

* Re: [9fans] THX hell
@ 2007-05-02 17:00   ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2007-05-02 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: csant, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 5/2/07, csant <csant@csant.info> wrote:
> > It has ballooned (firefox) to require a 2GB USB stick
> Why Firefox? There are smaller Linux browsers.
> /c

point me at one, I'll do it. It has to do AJAX. I'm not really
knowledgeable about browsers.

It's just that people asked for firefox. I don't care.

ron

* Re: [9fans] THX hell
@ 2007-05-02 17:28     ` Anthony Sorace
From: Anthony Sorace @ 2007-05-02 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

you might talk to the Opera people. in addition to having a PC-type
browser that runs on multiple platforms, they have slimmed-down
versions that run on various embedded platforms. they've got a
smallish version that runs on the Nokia N800 (a linux-based handheld
device) which has decent performance and does ajax (i'm not sure what
standards or test suites apply, but google mail and one other ajax-ish
site i use work, which is all i really know about).

they're not open source and i believe you'd have to get their approval
for redistribution; not sure how that squares with any religious
convictions.
anthony

* Re: [9fans] THX hell
@ 2007-05-02 17:45       ` W B Hacker
From: W B Hacker @ 2007-05-02 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Anthony Sorace wrote:
> you might talk to the Opera people. in addition to having a PC-type
> browser that runs on multiple platforms, they have slimmed-down
> versions that run on various embedded platforms. they've got a
> smallish version that runs on the Nokia N800 (a linux-based handheld
> device) which has decent performance and does ajax (i'm not sure what
> standards or test suites apply, but google mail and one other ajax-ish
> site i use work, which is all i really know about).
>
> they're not open source and i believe you'd have to get their approval
> for redistribution; not sure how that squares with any religious
> convictions.
> anthony

Opera is certainly worth a look, IMNSHO.

We've just stated shedding Firefox and SeaMonkey in favor of Opera.

Opera used to wear its feet on the wrong legs, UI-wise, but has become more
configurable, as well as better at handling the all-too prevalent badly-written
websites.

It builds faster and lighter from the *BSD ports tree than SeaMonkey or
Thunderbird, does not seem have their memory leaks or resource appetite on OS X
PPc versions.

Current license is not overly onerous, but a chat with them is certainly in order.

Bill

* Re: [9fans] THX hell
@ 2007-05-02 22:26     ` csant
From: csant @ 2007-05-02 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ron minnich, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> point me at one, I'll do it. It has to do AJAX.
Opera is quite a bit smaller than Firefox, both in disk size and memory
footprint. And does AJAX.
/c

* Re: [9fans] THX hell
@ 2007-05-03  7:23         ` csant
From: csant @ 2007-05-03  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs; +Cc: Claudio Santambrogio

On Wed, 02 May 2007 19:45:39 +0200, W B Hacker <wbh@conducive.org> wrote:

> Anthony Sorace wrote:
>> you might talk to the Opera people.

> Opera is certainly worth a look, IMNSHO.
>
> We've just stated shedding Firefox and SeaMonkey in favor of Opera.

:) What project is that?

> Current license is not overly onerous, but a chat with them is certainly
> in order.

Well, now you also have a contact address ;) I am sure we can work
something out!
/c