From: "Sean Caron" <scaron@umich.edu>
To: 9fans@9fans.net
Cc: scaron@umich.edu
Subject: [9fans] authentication fails strangely after changing password
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 18:24:59 -0400	[thread overview]

hi folks,

i needed to change my password today. i logged in to my plan 9 box using
drawterm
and used 'passwd' to change the password for my account, scaron, and got
on the
system console and used 'passwd' to change the password for bootes.

didn't get any errors when changing the password; it all seemed to 'take'

now, when i connect to my system via drawterm and log in, i get something
like
this:

user: scaron
scaron@diablonet.net password: ((type it))
\n : server says: cpu: srvauth: auth_proxy rpc write: ((garbage))

goodbye

or some variant on this. then it drops me. it seems to be exhibiting this
behaviour
for both my user and the bootes user with 100% consistency.

looks like a buffer overflow somewhere.

nothing changed besides my password and that of the bootes user.

this system hasn't pull'd any updates in a while (maybe like a year..)

is there anything i can do to rescue this or do i just need to blow the
system
away and start over?

thanks,

-sean