* [9fans] VMware resolution > 1024?
@ 2010-11-09  5:48 Don Bailey
From: Don Bailey @ 2010-11-09  5:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Am I missing something? VMware used to have better screen resolution
than 1024x768x8, didn't it? I'm getting kernel panic when I try and
switch to something higher. Suggestions?

Thanks,

* Re: [9fans] VMware resolution > 1024?
@ 2010-11-09 17:16 ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2010-11-09 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

It's not a solution to your problem, but what I typically like to do for a
console these days is use either 9vx or drawterm, and then setup VMWare as a
CPU/FS server.

Dave

@ 2010-11-10  7:00   ` Don Bailey
From: Don Bailey @ 2010-11-10  7:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Yeah, that's a fair solution. I already have an Auth, CPU, and FS
server in my VMware network. I was hoping to use VMware for
everything, though.

@ 2010-11-10  9:37     ` Lawrence E. Bakst
From: Lawrence E. Bakst @ 2010-11-10  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

About 1.5 years ago I tried booting plan9 on both VMware Fusion and Parallels. I had used Parallels before for plan9 and knew plan9 had booted in the past. The following is from my imperfect memory and a few notes I have.

Both products are pretty good and both booted plan9 for me, but they both had their share of issues for my preferred config. I have a MBP 17" with 1920x1200 screen. It would be nice to use all those pixels, but of course it's just over 8 MB @ 32 bpp. I think that's an issue (for me).

It was VMware's Fusion 2.0.2 lack of support for resolutions higher than 1024x768x8 that caused me to stick with Parallels. I actually think Fusion has support for higher (SVGA) resolutions but you have to write to a backdoor, register based, RPC mechanism to turn it on, set the resolution/bpp, and/or map it in. I didn't do it because I could not find any spec for it. It wouldn't be too hard to do if you had a spec. I did find some open source that did hack the VGA settings, but it was riddled with magic numbers and useless comments. If someone has the VMware rpc/SVGA spec, please let me know.

Has anyone upgraded to Parallels 6 and tried to boot plan9?

I have always found Parallels worked pretty well as long as you set OS Type: "Other" and OS Version: "OpenStep". That config of the VM seems to work the best with plan9. Also:

At 8:27 PM -0400 5/17/09, geoff@plan9.bell-labs.com wrote:
>Taking the wiki's advice and specifying in plan9.ini
>
>	mouseport=ps2intellimouse
>
>cures the middle-button problem.

I found that Parallels 3 still had problems with middle clicks on external USB mice, but the above fixes the trackpad issues. I suppose the problem could be with my LogTech control panel not creating the middle clicks correctly. I have some notes on all this but should really get to the latest version of everything before I post anything. Nothing worse that old data points.

Best,

leb

leb@iridescent.org