* [9fans] customization of acmes main tag
@ 2004-06-11 16:59 Heiko Dudzus
From: Heiko Dudzus @ 2004-06-11 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I tried to put the command 'Mail' into the main tag[1] and to get it
saved into the acme.dump. But while it is easy to put a word in a
windows tag and to dump it, this does not work for the main tag.

I prefer having cutom commands there over having it in a window (tag
or body) because windows gets closed from time to time (the more open
windows the more confusion)

In short words: I intend to store commands of permanent importance on a
permanent place.

Is there a way to do this? If not: What do you think about it?
Regards, Heiko

[1] acme(1) speaks of the tag "across the whole display"

* Re: [9fans] customization of acmes main tag
@ 2004-06-11 18:35 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2004-06-11 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

to start acme mail in a new window i have the following function
defined in my profile:

	plan9% cat '/env/fn#amail'
	fn amail {acme -l $home^/acmemail.dump}
	plan9%

where acmemail.dump is a dump of a brand new acme session with only
the Mail command started.

brought to you courtesy of the tips section of the LANL Plan 9 page
(lots of useful tidbits there):

	http://pages.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/~mirtchov/lanlp9/tips.html

andrey

* Re: [9fans] customization of acmes main tag
@ 2004-06-14  9:08   ` Heiko Dudzus
From: Heiko Dudzus @ 2004-06-14  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

andrey mirtchovski <mirtchov@cpsc.ucalgary.ca> wrote:
> to start acme mail in a new window i have the following function
> defined in my profile:
>
> 	plan9% cat '/env/fn#amail'
> 	fn amail {acme -l $home^/acmemail.dump}
> 	plan9%

Ok, I understand this thing (and now I also set up this function). But
the question still remains how to start 'amail'. I can imagine to change
the plumbing rule for faces to start 'amail'.

Isn't it nicer to have all things together in one instance of acme? I
find it useful to Del the mbox window now and get it back later by one
single click.

It wasn't hard to change /sys/src/cmd/acme/rows.c to let acme display
different main tag line (although I don't have deeper understanding ;).
I think this is a very ugly hack.

Isn't there a way to change the tag line on run time via some
/mnt/acme/... ctl file? I think it is 'cause running external commands
are shown there. But I fail to find this file because of the per-process
namespace (I think).

> brought to you courtesy of the tips section of the LANL Plan 9 page
> (lots of useful tidbits there):
>
> 	http://pages.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/~mirtchov/lanlp9/tips.html

Thanks, I saved a text version in my local hints file. :-)