From: "Wilhelm B. Kloke" <wb@arb-phys.uni-dortmund.de>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] s3venti
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 09:26:09 +0000	[thread overview]

Richard Bilson <rcbilson@gmail.com> schrieb:
>> and an issue related to the
>> fact that we need to encrypt users' data.
>
> For the record, s3venti does encrypt blocks that it writes to S3. It
> uses a single key, making it rather vulnerable to dictionary attacks,
> but I haven't come up with a way to do better without changing the
> venti protocol. Suggestions are welcome.

Any sort of encryption which does not change the key from time to time
is not very secure. If the attacker has enough time, security is not easy
to get.

I propose to divide the files to store, e.g. into upper and lower 4bit
nibbles and put them into different places. In this case both halves are
likely to be less worthy for themselves, and much more difficult to
decipher, too.
--
Dipl.-Math. Wilhelm Bernhard Kloke
Institut fuer Arbeitsphysiologie an der Universitaet Dortmund