* [9fans] More kbmap information
@ 2014-12-22 14:30 Adrian Regenfuss
From: Adrian Regenfuss @ 2014-12-22 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

* Re: [9fans] More kbmap information
@ 2014-12-22 16:32 ` Anthony Sorace
From: Anthony Sorace @ 2014-12-22 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I don't think kbmap is going to give you what you want here. It's a really easy way to set the non-modifier keys, but which modifier keys do what is built into the underlying code. I don't think what you're after would be too challenging, though; start by taking a look at /sys/src/9/pc/kbd.c (assuming you're running a stock 32-bit kernel), in particular the kbdputsc function.

That said, after taking a look at the specific keyboard layout you've described, I'd suggest living with the Plan 9 compose system for a while first. Most folks have found it remarkably comfortable, at least if your primary language doesn't vastly exceed what's on a keyboard (Japanese &c). I know I miss it when I'm on every other system.

Anthony

* Re: [9fans] More kbmap information
@ 2014-12-22 16:44   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-12-22 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon Dec 22 08:29:52 PST 2014, a@9srv.net wrote:
> I don't think kbmap is going to give you what you want here.  It's a
> really easy way to set the non-modifier keys, but which modifier keys
> do what is built into the underlying code.  I don't think what you're
> after would be too challenging, though; start by taking a look at
> /sys/src/9/pc/kbd.c (assuming you're running a stock 32-bit kernel),
> in particular the kbdputsc function.
>
> That said, after taking a look at the specific keyboard layout you've
> described, I'd suggest living with the Plan 9 compose system for a
> while first.  Most folks have found it remarkably comfortable, at
> least if your primary language doesn't vastly exceed what's on a
> keyboard (Japanese &c).  I know I miss it when I'm on every other
> system.

one thing that is a bit unfortunate is that kbmap uses ibm pc scan codes.
at this point it would be more sensible to use the usb key codes, and
use the fact that there is a unique map of scan code to deal with ps/2
keyboards.  this would allow more sensible specifications like leftshift
instead of whatever scan code left shift is.  it would also be more sensible
for that to be the system keyboard interface, rather than the wierd
16-bit encoding that we've got.  (it doesn't even properly deal with
full-size mac keyboards.)

i haven't done this for compaibility reasons, but it sure would be a good
gsoc project.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] More kbmap information
@ 2014-12-23 14:47     ` Adrian Regenfuss