From: Mack Wallace <mackbw@mapinternet.com>
To: 9front@9front.org
Subject: [9front] Is there a way to extend telnet through rexport?
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2021 18:13:11 +0000	[thread overview]

I have a number of different sites which each have numerous disparate systems that need to be administered - essentially by moving files around. I want to use Plan9/9front to consolidate these systems at each site and present them as a file structure on a server in the main office. So essentially each location has its own subdirectory, and each system as that site is represented by a subdirectory below that.

I have been able to get this to work using various file system mounts, then binding those mounts into a single directory which I then rexport. This allows me to mount this on the server with all the devices represented by different directory below the mount.

There are some devices that can only be accessed through telnet and tftp. In the long term I would like to have a file system driver written for them, but for the time being, is there a way to represent a telnet connection by way of a file which can then be accessed over the rexport. (It would be nice to be able to do the same with tftp as well as then both would be through the tls link that rexport provides.)

I know one can set up a telnet connection as a service using 'telnet -s svc net!machine'. I currently do this to take a feed from gpsd on another node to then feed it into gpsfs. And I have been able to extend the gpsfs file system through rexport. However, I have not had any luck trying to bind the service file to another subdirectory, or the /srv subdirectory itself and have it show up on the server. Granted I have only tried binding to the exported subdirectory after I’ve already rexported it. Something I need to experiment with. However, if that file can survive the rexport, what then to access it with, as I don’t believe telnet nor con are set up to operate on a file. I have read that the connection as a service is for a console file system. But I am not sure if that would fit into the organization that I am looking to build.

Hoping that maybe someone has done something like this before and that it is stupidly easy.

Thanks,

Mack