From: cinap_lenrek@felloff.net
To: 9front@9front.org
Subject: Re: [9front] Need help with configuring the Internet
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2019 03:16:32 +0200	[thread overview]

> 4. (I'm not sure if i did 9fs 9fat again..)

> rm /n/9fat/9bootfat
> cp /386/9bootfat /n/9fat/
> chmod +al /n/9fat/9bootfat # defrag magic

this is unnecessary. as you'r reinstalling the BOOTLOADER here.
it changes so unfrequently that; i'd say unless you need it fixed;
you never need todo this.

> One thing I didn't do, was mk install one more time on
> /sys/src/9/pc64. I assumed mk install on
> /sys/src will create every necessary binaries, including the ones for
> /sys/src/9/pc64. So is that
> a necessary step?

yes, this is necessary. running mk in /sys/src only compiles the
userspace binaries (and libraries) for the current $objtype arch.
however, there are multiple kernels per architecture so these
need to be build explicitely.

the kernel build copies some userspace programs into the kernel
during build such as disk fileservers and utilities like
ipconfig. it also shares libc with userspace. so having
/sys/src built is a prerequirement for then building a kernel.

anyway, to build the kernel you just do:

cd /sys/src/9/pc64
mk install

then the resulting kernel file is /amd64/9pc64 which you can
then copy to 9fat:

9fs 9fat
cp /amd64/9pc64 /n/9fat

now you can reboot. hit any key until you see the > prompt
(this is the bootloader) and then type:

bootfile=9pc64
boot

you'r now running amd64 kernel. if that worked, you can mount
9fat again and change plan9.ini to always point to 9pc64
instead of the 386 kernel (9pc) by changingt the bootfile=
line.

a little trick. the plan9 partition has the 9fat right
at its start. so it is possible to mount the 9fat from
linux or windows. this can be handy in case you need to
edit plan9.ini... or restore a working kernel in case you
messed one up. so you might skip the bootloader step
above and edit bootfile= line in plan9.ini right away
if you have some other way to access the 9fat.

good luck.

--
cinap