From: unobe@cpan.org
To: 9front@9front.org
Subject: Re: [9front] rpi4 wifi USB dongle
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2021 23:38:14 -0700	[thread overview]

Quoth Daniel Morandini <danielmorandini@me.com>:
> > yeah you got it right.
> >
> > it's hard to find good terminology that still makes sense in all this.
> >
> > on ethernet all nodes are the same, addressed by MAC addresses. on
> > wifi a station can only use one mac address, so bridges never work on
> > wifi stations but only on ap side, of which there can only be one.
> Now I see. Thank you very, very much.

My reply is dated, but maybe it'll be useful for someone.  On June 4
of last year, I had this in my 9front setup notes:

"""
Over the last couple of days I've been working to get bilbo
transitioned from a qemu instance on a macbook pro to a qemu instance
running on a kvm-capable computer.  I finally got it, but most of the
time was spent figuring out how to do bridging on a wireless card.
That was non-trivial.  The qemu documentation was like a scatterplot
and gave little insight into how to do it, and the resources it
directed one to were quite dated or didn't work for non-Linux guests.
Finally, I struck gold with this comment:
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/159191/setup-kvm-on-a-wireless-interface-on-a-laptop-machine

That worked flawlessly.  I also was able to update the kernel from
running 9pc to 9pc64.  Additionally, the kvm enabling is *well* worth
the time I spent working on networking and made me appreciate the
simplicity of plan9 even more.
"""

The idea described at stackexchange is to use a TAP device.  My
situation was using qemu, so not a native install, but thought I'd
mention how it worked if anyone was running a virtualized qemu on an
rpi4 (which is terribly slow--I've done it, but go with what you
got!).  In the setup described above, I just created a small wrapper
that did the required bits before starting qemu and after stopping it.