From: sirjofri <sirjofri+ml-9front@sirjofri.de>
To: james palmer <9front@9front.org>
Subject: Re: [9front] Venti in 9front
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2021 08:04:04 +0000 (UTC)	[thread overview]

07.09.2021 01:43:45 james palmer <james@biobuf.link>:

> Quoth <sirjofri+ml-9front@sirjofri.de>:
>> I'd be interested in patching cwfs so I can have an alternative layout
>> without a worm partition, but dump with a venti. I believe this is
>> possible. What do people who touched cwfs (and/or venti) source code
>> think about that?
>
> i dont know if you really need to patch cwfs, i ran cwfs with no dump
> and backed up to venti with a cron job for a while.

That's also a solution. I assume you used vac? Did you change the 9fs
script to fit the venti situation (9fs dump)?

> if you do feel like patching libventi is used by both venti clients and
> the server so you should be able to use that in cfws. i don't know
> about the on-disk format though.

Absolutely. I didn't look at cwfs dump code yet, but I can imagine it's
just a matter of injecting libventi code there, together with some config
stuff.

> though if you want a venti backed fs, you could always just import
> fossil :P perhaps from ants?

That's exactly what I do _not_ want :). The reason is that fossil is not
part of 9front and future changes might break compatibility and/or make
the system unstable. I believe cwfs is becoming more stable, especially
considering nobody wants to patch fossil code (which is the reason why
it's removed). Therefore, a venti-driven backup solution for the standard
pretty-stable supported cwfs is more tempting than installing fossil.

It would be great if you could share more details (and scripts?) for your
venti backup solution with cwfs nodump.

sirjofri