Currently, syslog() prints sysname, date/time, and fmt. Check out the diff and tell me if I'm just being dumb. Sample before/after lines... cirno Feb 9 20:38:55 Hung up on 8.8.8.8; claimed to be fbi.gov 1455068335 cirno Hung up on 8.8.8.8; claimed to be fbi.gov Nobody wants this stupid crap where you have to try to recall which timezone(s) a machine is/was in. Also, with this change it's easy to plot out occurrences of some log string over time, as you don't have to do any date string conversions (useful when trying to track down bugs that don't present themselves frequently). The only con I can think of is that you'll need to use date(1) to convert the timestamp if you want your date string, but hey, at least the timestamp isn't ambiguous.