Super frustrating. I'm sure I'm making it more difficult I tried following 4.2.2.1 It seems like things should be easier. 9bootfat, 9pc, ini and 9front.iso. I think the frustrating part was being stuck dealing with a usb device. I don't care about thumb drives. All of this should be accomplished with an iso or 9front.bin or something similar. I ended up doing a dd from /dev/SDUxxx -of cd.iso But it was exactly 32G image. I have a limitation because its on AWS with an EBS of 32G maximum. In theory I should have been mount the ISO and dump the data, then modify ini. But how in the world do you write the mbr you can't do that to a directory disk/mbr -r mbr /dev/sdUxxx So really I'm not sure how iso's are created in 9front. I suspect some sort of rockridge format and a generic bootloader. Here is what I ended up doing. I fired up qemu locally and performed the install. Then I logged in and changed the ini file and added console=0. Then I copied the 9front.img to the AWS ec2 instance. Everything came up fine text mode. Nice! and thak you for the help. Honestly I would like to use the ec2 bare metal. Its already a hypervisor. I just don't know what to do to make that happen. I suspect I would need to dump the data into another EBS then force the EC2 to load it. But i'm also not sure of the files required beyond digging into inst/start and looking at the rc scripts. Or a docker would be nice. I saw a docker out there but it was two years old. It also ran on alpine linux, so someone manged to copy some files over. Maybe I don't want docker. Bare metal is better any thoughts would be much appreciated.