From: Jacob Moody <moody@mail.posixcafe.org>
To: 9front@9front.org
Subject: Re: [9front] Used to boot to rio, doesn't anymore
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2022 11:27:32 -0600	[thread overview]

On 8/26/22 10:54, wakyct@tilde.team wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 26, 2022 at 10:25:41AM -0600, Jacob Moody wrote:
>>
>> There is not enough information here.
>> Are you booting a terminal kernel? Did
>> you update between the last time it worked and
>> now?
>
> Yes, terminal kernel (an unmodified 386 install). I haven't updated (don't know how to yet).
>
> I did recompile the kernel once following http://fqa.9front.org/fqa7.html#7.2.5. However
> everything booted normally several times after that.

If this is consistent, and none of the software changed, then surely something with the
hardware has changed. Iterating through the list of boot parameters outlined here:

http://fqa.9front.org/fqa9.html#9.5.2

May help you pin down what is causing the issue. You can go through one by one
and start turning stuff off to see what is hanging. My gut is saying something
is funky with your network card so perhaps start with *noetherprobe=.

In order to enter these boot parameters, when you boot in to 9front just
start hitting any key and that should throw you in to the boot loader prompt.
There you can type these boot parameters out, then when you're done you can
type 'boot' to actually get the kernel started. You will know you missed it
if you see the memory sizes show.

For disabling ethernet, the session will look something like:

> *noetherprobe=
> boot
Plan 9 ...

-- moody