From: Ethan Gardener <eekee57@fastmail.fm>
To: 9front@9front.org
Subject: Re: [9front] vncs: some clients report 'bad hextile data'
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2019 11:47:42 +0000	[thread overview]

On Fri, Feb 1, 2019, at 5:03 PM, cinap_lenrek@felloff.net wrote:
> yeah... i tried a bunch of vnc client and server implementations on windows
> when testing and each one seems to have something lacking. i had to try like
> 4 experimental builds of ultravnc until it started listening on ipv6 address
> using obscure undocumented .ini settings.

This fits with my general experience of semi-obscure open source software.  I'm sure the extensibility of the VNC standard doesn't help.

> the best working linux implementation seems to be tigervnc.
>
> good luck.

Thanks!

On Fri, Feb 1, 2019, at 6:36 PM, Steve Simon wrote:
> i know its functionally a bit different but you could try remote desktop
> to windows.
>
> i use rd(1) to talk to windows from plan9. it occasionally dies due to
> message decode failures, but a reconnect only takes 2 or 3 secs so i
> live with it.

I'm going the other way, using Windows for desktop and gaming.  Plan 9's interfaces are so free of unnecessary details that it's better as the remote box.  I suppose I 'should' be using drawterm, but I keep screwing up Plan 9's authentication.

At present, Plan 9 is this weird thing I can't live with and can't live without. (lol)  I very much don't have the right aptitudes to read the C code, and I've failed to find a work-around in 10 years.  Because of this, I can't understand the auth system.  Auth documentation is confusing and wrong, reading the source is the way to understand it.  At the same time, parts of the userspace are just so good that I can't do without them.  So is the dump filesystem.

Maybe I should switch to Inferno because it relies less on C and has a different auth scheme.  The trouble is there are more bugs to fix.  And it always strikes me as a child that doesn't know what it wants to be when it grows up. :)  *And* most Inferno devs moved on to Go 7 years ago.  A new generation is starting to appear, but only starting.

I am starting to develop my own system which will suit me as much as I can make it do so, but I can't rely on vaporware even when I'm the one producing the vapor. ;)  It's possible I might be stymied by whatever fault prevents me understanding Plan 9's C code.  I do hope not. >:(