* [9front] Http parsing auth (Was Re: bug in Lynx' SSL certificate validation -> leaks password in clear text via SNI (under some circumstances) )
       [not found] <YTXPR0101MB12291D09D7F6F1D597CB4956E8F49@YTXPR0101MB1229.CANPRD01.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM>
@ 2021-08-21  4:40 ` unobe
From: unobe @ 2021-08-21  4:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

See below, which is a forward of a message I received a couple weeks ago.

The best I can tell is that the parser for lynx didn't understand the
authn part of the URI.  I think libhttpd doesn't have the same
problem--it just returns a bad uri, which is better than leaking.  I'm
looking at /sys/src/libhttpd/parsereq.c:/^parseuri .
/sys/src/libhttpd/parse.c parses the mime header, so it's not an issue
with requests that are sent with the authorization that way.  From
httpd(2):
     BUGS
          This is a rough implementation and many details are going to
          change.

Webfs(4) looks to handle things properly in parsing (
/sys/src/cmd/webfs/url.c ), but would still generate a URI that
libhttpd couldn't handle: /sys/src/cmd/webfs/url.c:^/Ufmt .

Questions: if my analysis is correct, should parseuri be made to parse
authuser and authpass?  Or is libhttpd not used as much and other
software is preferred?

Quoth Katherine Mcmillan <kmcmi046@uottawa.ca>:
> FYI

only message in thread, other threads:[~2021-08-21  9:10 UTC | newest]