* [9front] cfs, aan, and a network recommendation
@ 2021-11-15 17:52 sirjofri
From: sirjofri @ 2021-11-15 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Hello all,

due to a full worm on my cwfs I'm rethinking my network setup.

Currently I have one VPS with limited storage (usually not much, the one
that's almost full). I also have a larger/more powerful computer at home
with a standard German internet connection, so the IP address can change
every day and the connection is not always up.

At the moment both machines are full file servers. The VPS (oat) is also
mail server, http server, as well as auth and secstore. The other machine
(leaf) is basically just cpu+fs, I had most of my data there.

Since I moved to another apartment and I had internet connection issues I
wasn't able to put leaf online, and I also only seem to have IPv6 here
(from outside), so I was never really able to connect to leaf from
outside. However, I believe it's possible.

My current thoughts were, I could try to make leaf my only cpu+fs for
working and configuration etc, and have oat start with leaf as a
fileserver. Since the connection is likely not reliable and potentially
slow I thought about combining cfs with aan.

Did anyone try something like that? How reliable is aan? I know it
handles short interruptions reasonably well (e.g. switching between LTE
and WiFi), but what if something more happens? How could I handle
potential rebooting (do I need to reboot oat each time I reboot leaf
then)?

I was also thinking about just removing leaf from my network and only
rely on VPS. They are always available and hardware managed, as well as
cheap enough. I'd then just like to have a good/solid filesystem setup
(cwfs vs hjfs, or potentially even fossil?). Do you have good
recommendations?

Ideally I want a dump every day for the last X months, and then free
older stuff (as in, I care about the data, but not the history). Maybe
that's a use case for classical backups (daily, weekly, monthly, ...) and
not so much for a dumping filesystem. Do you have any ideas and
recommendations?

sirjofri