* /sys/lib/dist changes
@ 2011-04-12 22:32 Iruatã Souza
From: Iruatã Souza @ 2011-04-12 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Hello,

It seems /sys/lib/dist needs some work here and there. Cinap started
the process by minimizing the mkfile, and more should be done.
Some goals I think we can accomplish without sacrificing the unholy
principles are:

1. Promote the tools used by the installer (/sys/lib/dist/cmd) to
common tools or get rid of them. This includes writing the relevant
man pages.
2. A 9front cd should be easy to build. This is more or less done.
3. Make the installer as platform-independent as we can. Installing on
the little ARMs shouldn't be difficult.
4. If you can boot the live cd, you can boot the installer, and you
can run the installed system. The new boot code is a big step towards
that, minor improvements may still be needed, though.

I mention this more as a rfc, since I am myself willing to devote some
time to it.

regards,
iru

* Re: /sys/lib/dist changes
@ 2011-04-13  2:44 ` John Soros
From: John Soros @ 2011-04-13  2:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Hello,
my 2¢

On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 19:32:09 -0300
Iruatã Souza <iru.muzgo@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> It seems /sys/lib/dist needs some work here and there. Cinap started
> the process by minimizing the mkfile, and more should be done.
> Some goals I think we can accomplish without sacrificing the unholy
> principles are:
>
> 1. Promote the tools used by the installer (/sys/lib/dist/cmd) to
> common tools or get rid of them. This includes writing the relevant
> man pages.
> 2. A 9front cd should be easy to build. This is more or less done.

maybe at the same time building a rootfs should be easy as well

> 3. Make the installer as platform-independent as we can. Installing on
> the little ARMs shouldn't be difficult.

Isn't that usually done via flashing? That would mean one should be
able to build a working rootfs directly and make an image of it?

> 4. If you can boot the live cd, you can boot the installer, and you
> can run the installed system. The new boot code is a big step towards
> that, minor improvements may still be needed, though.

it would be nice if once could install directly from the live
environment.

> I mention this more as a rfc, since I am myself willing to devote some
> time to it.
>
> regards,
> iru

installing plan9 with the needed tools and cloning the repo as we
speak..so i'm hopefully not talking out my ass and will be able
to chip in
--
I'm cereal
    -- Al Gore in South Park

* Re: /sys/lib/dist changes
@ 2011-04-13 16:47 ` cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2011-04-13 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

point *1 and *4 is done. there are no installer specific binaries
anymore.
i think they where mostly there because of the size limitation on
floppy.
installer moved to /rc/bin/inst so it will be always there, not just
in a
linstall/live cd.