* incremental regular expression search in mothra
@ 2013-11-01  4:46 Nick Owens
From: Nick Owens @ 2013-11-01  4:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

9frontmen,

i've started work on an additional command in mothra to do incremental
text searching in mothra.

to test this,
apply the patch with 'cd /; hget http://okturing.com/src/1954/body | ape/patch -p0'
and rebuild mothra with 'cd /sys/src/cmd/mothra; mk install'
open mothra with 'mothra http://www.lipsum.com/'
to begin searching type '/ lorem'
to get the next result, type 'n'

i think having 'p' for previous would be nice but that is a little
harder to implement.

feedback is welcome.

mischief

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 834 bytes --]

* Re: [9front] incremental regular expression search in mothra
@ 2013-11-01  4:53 ` sl
From: sl @ 2013-11-01  4:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> to begin searching type '/ lorem'
> to get the next result, type 'n'
>
> i think having 'p' for previous would be nice but that is a little
> harder to implement.

This text search feature is very useful. Thank you.

That said, we should be mindful that we're talking about sacrificing
three (three!) command verbs, here.

sl

* Re: [9front] incremental regular expression search in mothra
@ 2013-11-01  5:02 ` Kurt H Maier
From: Kurt H Maier @ 2013-11-01  5:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Quoting Nick Owens <mischief@9.offblast.org>:

> feedback is welcome.

Any reason to use 'n' for next search instead of '/'?  You might
even be able to elide error checking for 'n' with no previous search;
just execute a null search on / with not antecedent.

khm

* Re: [9front] incremental regular expression search in mothra
@ 2013-11-01  5:08   ` sl
From: sl @ 2013-11-01  5:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> Any reason to use 'n' for next search instead of '/'?

Current behavior of '/' is to load the root page of the
site. Similarly, '/dicks/' would load the corresponding
directory under the root.

It kind of sucks that we can't carry over sam's syntax
for this, but mothra's existing behavior is also useful.

sl

* Re: [9front] incremental regular expression search in mothra
@ 2013-11-01  5:30     ` Kurt H Maier
From: Kurt H Maier @ 2013-11-01  5:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Quoting sl@9front.org:

> Current behavior of '/' is to load the root page of the
> site.

You lie.

khm

* Re: [9front] incremental regular expression search in mothra
@ 2013-11-01  6:09       ` sl
From: sl @ 2013-11-01  6:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> You lie.

Apparently.

sl

* Re: [9front] incremental regular expression search in mothra
@ 2013-11-01  6:09     ` Nick Owens
From: Nick Owens @ 2013-11-01  6:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Fri, Nov 01, 2013 at 01:08:36AM -0400, sl@9front.org wrote:
> > Any reason to use 'n' for next search instead of '/'?
>
> Current behavior of '/' is to load the root page of the
> site. Similarly, '/dicks/' would load the corresponding
> directory under the root.

i previously thought / would go to the root of the site.

this version uses '/ regexp' to begin search and '/' for next match.

http://okturing.com/src/1956/body

@ 2013-11-01  6:32         ` sl
From: sl @ 2013-11-01  6:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> the above version breaks / due to my inability to understand c scoping
> rules.

I kept typing '/' but the site root wasn't re-loading.

sl

* Re: [9front] incremental regular expression search in mothra
@ 2013-11-01  6:35       ` Nick Owens
From: Nick Owens @ 2013-11-01  6:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front