* re: [9front] cwfs trouble on my laptop
@ 2019-10-20 14:17 raingloom
From: raingloom @ 2019-10-20 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front, sirjofri

I was having similar issues on my Raspberry Pi when its microSD card
started dying. As far as I know, HDDs don't always fail very gracefully.

* Re: [9front] cwfs trouble on my laptop
@ 2019-10-20 18:04 ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2019-10-20 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

yeah, definitely avoid SD cards.

i recommend
1) use SD cards only for storing media for playback on mobile devices,
like for music in an mp3 player (with your main library still on
proper and backed up disks).
2) throw all rpi <4 into the trash
3) get used to the overhead of the xhci, there are cheap enclosures
with consumer SSDs that are more performant and reliable than any SD
based storage I have come across so far.

@ 2019-10-21  8:23 ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2019-10-21  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On 10/21/19, kokamoto@hera.eonet.ne.jp <kokamoto@hera.eonet.ne.jp> wrote:
>> yeah, definitely avoid SD cards.
>
> by run the 9front root from tls where root is on a hard disk drive.

ah yes: write-once SD card for plan 9 bootloader. regularly get
updated kernel via tls and do /dev/reboot and hopefully never use the
SD card again ;)

* Re: [9front] cwfs trouble on my laptop
@ 2019-10-20 23:17 ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2019-10-20 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

i have not had the same problems with sd cards, running a pi as my desktop at work for the last 4 years they have been completely reliable. i did buy a samsung evo+ card, and maybe i was lucky (sample of 1).

i am going to build a oi4 server at home and will mirror an ssd, an sd card and a thumb drive - the idea is different technologies wont die at the same time.

speed is not an issue at home, reliability and low power consumption is more important for me.

-Steve

@ 2019-10-20 23:10 kokamoto
From: kokamoto @ 2019-10-20 23:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front