From: Ori Bernstein <ori@eigenstate.org>
To: 9front@9front.org
Cc: telephil9@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [9front] fqa8: sending email with gmail
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2019 09:29:01 -0800	[thread overview]

On Wed, 18 Dec 2019 18:03:49 +0100, telephil9@gmail.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Attached is a patch to fqa8 that documents sending mail with gmail.
> Thanks to Ori_B and kvik for helping me with the issues I had.
>
> Regards,
> Philippe

Thanks for taking the time to fix our docs!

This can still use a bit of polish. Specifically, I think the
section below could be better written:

+Now you can try sending an email:
+.P1
+echo hello | mail -s test your.username@gmail.com
+.P2
+
+This will not work the first time as we also need to add a certificate.
+Look into /sys/log/smtp for the following error:
+.P1
+cert for smtp.gmail.com not recognized:
+	sha256=wnu7Uuzq4MlyJHP90+8f2smoh6x3cj0dG5z02jJlX42
+.P2
+
+Add the certificate to your system:
+.P1
+echo 'x509 sha256=wnu7Uuzq4MlyJHP90+8f2smoh6x3cj0dG5z02jJlX42' \e
+	>> /sys/lib/tls/smtp
+.P2
+
+You should now be able to send emails from 9front!

I think the thing that I dislike most is that 'now you can try
sending an email' reads as though things should work at that
point. Maybe replacing it with 'Now we need to extract the
certificate hash. We can do this by failing to send an email:'

It may also be worth taking a bit of time to figure out and
recommend a setup that works for both gmail and local mail.
Not sure about that.

--
    Ori Bernstein