From: qwx <qwx@sciops.net>
To: 9front@9front.org
Subject: opus support
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2020 14:47:23 -0800	[thread overview]

Hello,

I recently investigated if it's worth it to me to replace mp3 with another codec
such as opus for storing my music library in.  I've concluded that it is.

Based on mischief's own earlier efforts, I've ported the latest versions of xiph's
opusdec and opusenc implementation along with their supporting libraries.  I've
also changed their basic usage to adhere with our own, and their defaults to
conform with default audio(3) format.  Additionally, I've added changes to
file(1), play(1), /sys/lib/plumb/basic and the audio(1) manpage to integrate
these fully.

For those interested, here's a summary of my investigations:

http://nopenopenope.net/posts/audcomp

It also contains instructions for setting opus up.

I have not updated my contrib directory yet, sorry.

Note that the mkfiles the patches add for building the alien code need work.

I am not sure this is worth importing into 9front, although I'd welcome it.  The
programs and libraries are over 70k lines of code.

Cheers,

qwx