* mothra: proposal
@ 2020-03-18 23:49 sl
From: sl @ 2020-03-18 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

i've been maintaining forks of mothra for years.  i don't anticipate
making more big changes any time soon, and i have zero time to
continue applying the changes from 9front to my several forks.

i propose to backport the following changes from my forks to 9front:

	1.) restore original default fonts.
		a.) our dejavusans is fuzzy as hell, and it sucks.
			1.) users can easily choose their own fonts
			and
			recompile.

	2.) backport my changes to libpanel to remove useless panel
	borders and fake shadow lines.  stop underlining hyperlinks,
	and instead make them blue.[0][1]
		a.) perhaps in a saner manner.
			1.) currently, lines, borders, bullet points,
			etc., are defined in all sorts of different
			places, not even entirely inside of libpanel.
			i made no attempt to address this.  in rio,
			we ended up putting all the color definitions
			into one file, for easy modification.

	3.) implement -b flag for dark mode, white-on-black text.[2]
		a.) similar to rio -b, and vt -b.
			1.) users are free to implement any desired
			schemes beyond default and -b by configuring
			the included .c files.

caveat: i do not have a lot of faith in my own ability to backport
these changes cleanly.

volunteers are welcome.

sl

[0] http://plan9.stanleylieber.com/src/mothra.white.tgz
[1] http://plan9.stanleylieber.com/src/mothra.black.tgz
[2] http://plan9.stanleylieber.com/mothra/img/20200310.png

only message in thread, other threads:[~2020-03-18 23:49 UTC | newest]